Author Topic: Made a speech  (Read 2274 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Made a speech
« on: April 15, 2005, 03:16:56 AM »
My favorite professor runs an open house for incoming freshman annualy...this year he has asked me to give a short speech to these kids and their parents, describing the college of engineering, and the department of CS from a students perspective. I actually found it to be quite an honor that he selected me; esspecially that he knows damn well that I like other things much better than CS.

I like giving talks, so I prepared quite well - and the speech went great....lasted around 10 minutes, fallowed with a Q&A session. Basically my advice to the kids was to do things beyond school - that school's "bare" minimum is not enough if they really want to accomplish something. I told them to branch out, join different labs and researches...and finally to get an internship. I really wish someone gave such a speech to me 4 years ago :(

After words I mingled and ate a great lunch.

I also received a rather nice surprise - the department gave me an iPod shuffle and a $50 gift certificate to best buy  :D  :D  :D  :D  

good times
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Made a speech
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 03:23:41 AM »
Good times indeed. Sounds like some good advice too.

Sang-drax

• You created me, friend, you created me.
  • Jackass IV
    • http://strandmark.com
Made a speech
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 04:47:01 AM »
Congratulations!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Made a speech
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 08:10:22 AM »
That's awesome ax.  Maybe I should start to give more speeches ;)

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
Made a speech
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 12:07:37 PM »
you should have charged them a $2500 conference fee.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez