Author Topic: quote  (Read 574 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:41:22 PM »
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
  - Stephen Hawking

discuss.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: quote
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 04:44:16 PM »
I didn't realize that Stephen Hawking was a stoner.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »
He's an idiot. First of all, we have created quite a few different forms of Artificial Intelligence, not just a virus. Some of them are productive, and help improve quality of life. His assumption that we have created only destructive AI is ignorant false bullshit.

Additionally, Steven Hawking is a brilliant man, but he should have stopped "talking" a long time ago.

Edit: You know what, lets go a step farther. Destructive is a relative term. Lets assume for a second that i create a virus. It targets only computers running a specific version of opera. The virus exploits a security hole in that version of opera by showing the user a benign webpage that explains to the user that he or she has a security hole that needs to be patched by a newer version of opera.

Technically, its a virus because its a self installing, unwanted intrusive program. Did it destroy anything? Nope. It intruded, detected, and spoke. For a good purpose. Is it still wrong? Yes. But not destructive.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 05:58:31 PM »
He's an idiot. First of all, we have created quite a few different forms of Artificial Intelligence, not just a virus. Some of them are productive, and help improve quality of life. His assumption that we have created only destructive AI is ignorant false bullshit.

Additionally, Steven Hawking is a brilliant man, but he should have stopped "talking" a long time ago.

Edit: You know what, lets go a step farther. Destructive is a relative term. Lets assume for a second that i create a virus. It targets only computers running a specific version of opera. The virus exploits a security hole in that version of opera by showing the user a benign webpage that explains to the user that he or she has a security hole that needs to be patched by a newer version of opera.

Technically, its a virus because its a self installing, unwanted intrusive program. Did it destroy anything? Nope. It intruded, detected, and spoke. For a good purpose. Is it still wrong? Yes. But not destructive.

Depends upon what we deifine "life" as. 

RoD  not bad.   :)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 07:34:29 PM »
Well that goes to the heart of AI itsself. How do you define life? Most people would say that in order to have the quality of life, you must have conciousness (spelling) of the life you claim to live. These same people, however, would tell you a coma patient isnt dead. Hes just in a coma.

Seems kind of hypocritical. We are quick to accept the possibility that a coma patient can be aware of the world around him, and his current situation. But we cannot accept that a form of AI can do the same? Isnt a progressive robot learning? Right now, in this tower by my feet, there are literally millions of automated tasks going on at once. Like the lightning in a bottle affect we see when viewing a human brain when dye injected. Saying that a robot with the SAME basic thing going on in his head cant POSSIBLY just once realize its more then silicon and wires is insane. The same people who deem that impossible must be the same people who are so damn sure the universe is an empty abyss.

Personally whe i see AI i see a form of life. Conventional no, but its there. I-Robot was a box office hit because lots of things exploded, but for those who looked past the surface and really listened, it touched alot of chapters of this topic.

Hell hawking cant wipe his own ass, but im betting the honda robot could if he wanted too.

Edit: Not trying to go too far off the rail, but heres another look at it. Perhaps the coma patients cant sense a damn thing, but we accept the possibility because we find comfort in the idea they can. So perhaps the idea that a robot or other AI form can sense and understand things just scares people. COME OUT OF THE CLOSETS PEOPLE, I-ROBOT WAS A MOVIE!!!
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?