Author Topic: Weird problem with computer  (Read 8185 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Weird problem with computer
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 10:13:38 PM »
Ok so you know but lets make sure to give the slow people (like ahluka) all the info :)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 07:48:01 AM »
Sorry... I should have made that more clear.

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 12:56:48 PM »
It must be an overheating problem. The 1GB has made no difference to that amount of time it takes to come to a slow down - I was reading that Intel processors "slow themselves down" when they reach high temperatures. If I feel the side of my case it's noticably warm. I'm gonna dig out an old office fan we've got around here somewhere and open the side of my case; one question though...

Since the air isn't circulating at all (OK so I've only got an intake, laugh) would I be better to place the fan at a distance and an angle to blow the air over & past the processor?

Please don't bash me :(

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 01:08:14 PM »
>>Please don't bash me

You do know it's all in good fun, right?

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 01:11:50 PM »
Quote from: Rob
>>Please don't bash me

You do know it's all in good fun, right?

Yeah I know, but I can be a bit of an asshole sometimes so I don't blame half of you :)

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 01:21:52 PM »
I think we scared your mate off though.

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »
So anyway, I'd need a new case + the fans to solve this problem. Except I own exactly £1.54 so that ain't happening. I guess I could ask my parents but I kinda already owe them > £300 and they're not really up on me spending most of my spare time on my PC as it is.

If I dropped out of college and got a job (or even if I went through Uni then got a job) there's nothing around here. I guess the closest place I'd get a job is Cardiff, or possibly Swansea, but getting there's a whole big bus thing and the taste of public transport makes me vomit.

Sure, it's pretty, but south wales sucks ass. :(

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 01:28:03 PM »
Quote from: Rob
I think we scared your mate off though.

Yeah he's funny with forums - he's never really up for a laugh (it seems)
I say it's his ginger-ness.

http://www.zarins.me.uk/4598/10247.html
(This'll go down well on Monday...)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 11:25:56 PM »
yet another thread down the shitter despite its original potential
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2006, 12:17:52 AM »
Quote from: ahluka
It must be an overheating problem. The 1GB has made no difference to that amount of time it takes to come to a slow down - I was reading that Intel processors "slow themselves down" when they reach high temperatures. If I feel the side of my case it's noticably warm. I'm gonna dig out an old office fan we've got around here somewhere and open the side of my case; one question though...

Since the air isn't circulating at all (OK so I've only got an intake, laugh) would I be better to place the fan at a distance and an angle to blow the air over & past the processor?

Please don't bash me :(

Generally speaking you want to setup fans to suck air away from the CPU.  This effectivly gives the heat a bigger volume.  By blowing air towards the CPU you are in affect trying to cool down the existing air.  That is a fight you'll lose.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2006, 08:26:46 AM »
I'm not sure if that's necessarily true, Mike.  My Zalman heatsink/120mm fan blows air directly onto the CPU, as do most heatsink fans.  By blowing air directly down on the CPU, it blows out and away creating a flower effect... it pushes air down onto the heatsink, increasing air flow through and away from the CPU.  So my suggestion, as long as the fan is fairly small and can be directly fairly accurately, is to blow air directly on the CPU.  Again, that's not a great way to do it, but it should be effective.  I would say that moving air in any direction in the case would give you at least SOME of the desired effect, especially if you're opening it up to do so.

Sidenote: I'd rather have an exhaust fan than an intake fan.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2006, 09:21:23 AM »
Well there is a difference between the heatsink fan and a fan next to the computer.  At least with the way my heatsink is designed there is a lot of "spots" for the air to get "trapped" (can't think of better words atm).  But when you're talking about a much larger volume that you have when you are talking about the interior of a case blowing becomes less affective.

You are right though that whatever you do with have some desired affect.

And ober I hope your fan is blowing on the heatsink and not on the CPU :P

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2006, 10:53:57 AM »
It is.... that may have been a little vague.  :p

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2006, 05:33:43 PM »
the reason the HSF can blow onto the heatsink is because there is ery little ambient air in between the HS and the HSF. Therefore its easy for the fan to cool that air which in turn cools the HS. In cases where the HS is not in the equation your better to exhaust.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2006, 05:35:34 AM »
Ok I've got something to admit - it may have been pretty obvious anyway. I've never taken the heatsink off a CPU before :o

There's like a 4 pronged plastic shroud that's latched onto the side of the heatsink and it has two levers on top, which make it push down on the whole thing to keep it in place. I can't get it off :(

Oh yeah and when I pull the levers up, the heatsink & fan block moves around freely and lifts up a bit - this is normal, right?

It's in dire need of a clean too and I've given up playing games for the time being.