Author Topic: I'm now a culinary expert.  (Read 2863 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
I'm now a culinary expert.
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:54:54 AM »
Well, maybe that's overstating it. But I did add a new menu item to my limited skills.

I decided to try and do sushi at home, so I got all the supplies and had a go at it. I think it went rather well. It actually sort of fun. I think I overcooked the rice just a little bit (was watching TV in the other room) but it turned out alright. Last night was shrimp and cucumber rolls. Now that I know it isn't hard I'm going to try and create a "signature" spicy version. Something with jalapeno peppers and other good fun hot stuff to punish my unsuspecting guests (but I will love).
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: I'm now a culinary expert.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:06:13 AM »
wow, that looks pretty impressive.  Its easy you say?  Maybe i should try it.  How much does it cost to put together something like that?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:11:28 AM »
Really nice...some step by step pics?  I'd love to see how you did it...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »
Well, maybe that's overstating it. But I did add a new menu item to my limited skills.

I decided to try and do sushi at home, so I got all the supplies and had a go at it. I think it went rather well. It actually sort of fun. I think I overcooked the rice just a little bit (was watching TV in the other room) but it turned out alright. Last night was shrimp and cucumber rolls. Now that I know it isn't hard I'm going to try and create a "signature" spicy version. Something with jalapeno peppers and other good fun hot stuff to punish my unsuspecting guests (but I will love).

Try to get your hands on some real wasabi leaves and make a salad out of that and serve it along side of your sushi.  Your guests will love you :D

Gametaku

• Founders
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »
That's pretty cool, I've made sushi a few times and I agree it's kind of fun.  Micah it's actually fairly inexpensive. 

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:50:06 AM »
http://homepage3.nifty.com/maryy/eng/sushi_roll.htm

I got inspired by an episode of Good Eats:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/46197/good-eats-perfect-sushi-rice-anytime
http://www.hulu.com/watch/46200/good-eats-easy-to-make-tuna-sushi-rolls

It's pretty cheap. I just went to the local Grocery Store and picked up a 5lb bag of Sushi rice ("premium") for $8, a 12oz bottle of Rice Vinegar for $2.50 and a 10 pack of Nori (seaweed wrap) for $3. The inside ingredients are up to you.
The hardest part was finding a store that had the bamboo rolling mat. I was lucky enough to find that for a slightly spendy $5 at Crate&Barrel near my work. I suggest buying that online or at a more specialized store.

The most important part is to really keep your fingers (and palms) and your knife wet. The rice is super sticky and makes it harder with rice sticking to you. I think I wrapped a little too aggressively as I don't think you're really supposed to end up with Swiss Cake Roll appearance like I did. But it held together so presentation is secondary.
This signature intentionally left blank.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
Very cool....almost makes me want to try it...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:07:49 PM »
Very cool....almost makes me want to try it...

:rofl: :rofl: