Author Topic: 2016 Reading  (Read 8419 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
2016 Reading
« on: January 20, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »
Starting off the year reading two books:

1. The Beekeeper's Bible
2. The Lucky Years

I will give reviews upon finishing! got the first as regular book and the second kindle.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: 2016 Reading
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 01:05:59 PM »
Currently about to start Call For the Dead.

Last year I read The Goldfinch and Girl on the Train.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:01:52 PM »
The Development of European Civilization
In almost every way that matters, historical Europe was the laboratory in which the world you now live in was conceived and tested. And you'll be living with the consequences for the rest of your life. These 48 lectures lead you through the doors of that laboratory and guide you through the development of Europe from the late Middle Ages through the eve of World War II.
As you follow Professor Bartlett through the dramatic story of European history, you'll learn about the major ideologies and "isms" that bubbled forth from Europe's constantly fermenting cauldron of debate and conflict, including absolutism, scientism, rationalism, capitalism, nationalism, liberalism, and totalitarianism. You'll investigate the forces that intermingled to create the Industrial Revolution and the accompanying economic and social upheavals that would, in turn, create so many more. You'll also make sense of the European ideologies of government, including the rule of law, the concept of "the consent of the governed," taxation, an independent judiciary, and other concepts. You'll explore the new roles for religion in European life, from the end of the traditional union of altar and throne to great upheavals such as the Protestant Reformation and the Great Schism. And you'll witness the evolution of the European class system, which influenced the social forces that swirled around it just as much as it was influenced by them.
Rather than offering a laundry list of dates, events, and famous individuals, Professor Bartlett leaves you instead with an understanding of historical and social causality. More important: He offers you the chance to experience Europe's development from a European perspective.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 07:08:17 PM »
Anyone read Three Body Problem?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:20:10 AM »
fuck, I didn't even read a few pages of those books. You know how many books I got that I didn't even open. Holy shit. I just like buying books I think. I wonder if I will ever read....really read.....again.

A few months ago I was yearning to re read The Invisible Man - one of my favorite books - but I couldn't find it. I thought that maybe I gave it to someone. The desire faded, and two or three weeks ago I was looking for an airbrush to teach my kids how to use it and I found the book! I also found a lot of my college text books - what can I do with those? A lot of CS and Math - all the shit I grew to hate. But I did find the Invisible Man. It is in my bathroom now; and so far I read the first two pages at least 5 times! haha.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 02:40:38 PM »
Currently about to start Call For the Dead.

I also buy/request books but rarely read them. Since this post I have not read much at all. Like I don't think I read a single one until a week or two ago when I found a free book on Prime - The Eighth Sister. It was fine, a fairly quick read.

So since I read that I decided to try another book. I'm currently about to start Call For the Dead.