Author Topic: I've made a wonderfully superfluous purchase...  (Read 6767 times)

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
I've made a wonderfully superfluous purchase...
« on: August 15, 2005, 10:28:28 PM »
http://aspinaloflondon.com/details_us.asp?CategoryID=1&RangeID=1&StyleID=8&ProductID=22&DesignID=261

I don't know why, but I've always rather wanted a notebook exactly like it; I've always wanted to have a nice place to keep small scraps of my writing, and I thought that maybe this would prompt me to write more often.

It's very portable: fits nicely in a pocket, and I'm not worried of anything damaging the papers with the envelope flap. In any case, it seems like a notebook that's just begging to get beat up through heavy usage and travel.

Although I suppose at my age I'm no globetrotter, no backpacker, no serious world traveler...I like it, and I've already begun to enthusiastically fill up its pages -- and that's more than I can say of any other medium I've written in for pleasure.

The price was prohibitive at first, but whenever you want something so fervently (however foolishly), you will eventually persuade yourself that it is somehow a necessity, even against your better judgement.

So there you have it. I like it, and I don't particularly regret my purchase. It's easy to write in, provides a safe spot to keep my writings, is nice and portable, and of course, looks really cool. Consider it an early birthday present to myself.

Anyone else have a similar notebook? Or do you guys write mostly on the computer and/or notebook papers?

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 11:57:23 PM »
I found i can type much better and more eloquently than i can write, so my notebooks or etc usually only last for a few days before i just forget about them. i usually just use livejournal

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 01:07:05 AM »
I just bought myself a new monitor if that says anything about my preference between computers and paper.  I don't think I'd ever spend $40 on a notebook (maybe a sketchbook :p).  But hey, your purchase was $230 less than mine.  

I know a big part of writing is having the raw words down, but I guess I'm not like that.  I do a lot of editing between my head and my fingers.  It's also probably why I sound more intelligent online than when I speak.  Or...at least I think I sound somewhat intelligent.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 02:16:04 AM »
I find that when I actually put pen to paper, I tend to be far more eloquent and tend to write more. No, I don't get the same editing down that I can do on the computer, but sometimes that's a blessing: I can write far more, if only because I'm not constantly editing my own work in the midst of things. I guess I just end up using fairly reasonable phrases, if only because I know there is no delete key, or ctrl-z to save myself if I screw up.

Yeah, rather expensive I suppose, but not, I guess, if you compare it to computers...:-P Plus, it's a bit more portable than a laptop.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 08:00:16 AM »
I honestly can't stand using pen and paper anymore.  Probably why I just bought a laptop ;)

My problem with pen and paper is that it tends to be so damn slow.  I'm so used to typing that if I have to slow down to write stuff, I often get ahead of myself and end up missing words.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 12:44:59 PM »
I have nasty penmanship, and people tell me that I write rather slowly :(. Who knows why I chose paper-and-pen? The first bit I actually started writing in the notebook when I got it starts: "I have terrible penmanship. Really horrifying stuff, actually; I am continually surprised that my English teachers don't discount all of my papers on account of illegibility."

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 02:06:48 PM »
Alwych notebooks have served me well over the years.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 02:55:04 PM »
Hmmm, something to consider whenever I fill this up. I've read good things about the small Moleskine notebooks, but the name keeps making me think "mole skin"--which it probably is, for all I know--but it just sounds gross.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 07:12:32 PM »
That's some nice kit, very olde English.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 12:47:14 PM »
Thats a nice journal Ken...I have been using a similar one for quite sometime now (just buy the refills) but it is quite bigger then yours. I'll post a pic when I get home. It also has the straps which gets quite fucking annoying...but they sure as hell look cool :)

I love writing with pen and paper...it makes me write more freely. Whenever I write something on a computer I feel that I'm editing right away, without having the thing done. It works far better for me to write it down on paper first, and then retype and edit it on the pc.

I've but a molskine a few months back at a B&N (or Borders) but it is too small for me to write in...so it just hops around the hosue form place to place with its sheets dormant.

Ken, your next step is to buy a nice pen :) this would be my choice, but it is too pricey at the moment. So if anyone has some spare cash sitting around, I'm graduating soon and it is never to early for an early grad gift :D but at the moment, and for the past 5 or 6 years I've been using an el cheapo parker (pic below, since I couldn't find a decent link), which you can get at an officemax for about $5 - best pen ever. I've got several of my friends hooked on it :D

[edit]
are the pages rulled or empty in the notebook you bought?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.