Author Topic: Smartphone games  (Read 18360 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Smartphone games
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:18:17 AM »
the poll about windows7 games has me wonder what people play on their smartphones.

My wife used to do farmville a few years ago, then moved on to bejewled and for the past few months has been obsessed with candy crush.

I've never really played games on my phone, save for maybe a few hours of Angry Birds in its heyday.  Admittedly though, it gets pretty boring just surfing social media sites while lying on a kid's floor waiting for them to fall asleep.  Something I seem to spend several hours a week doing.

I was almost ready to try candy crush but couldn't bring myself to do it.  Instead I downloaded Glow Hockey which for a few days was pretty fun.  Then I thought, why not suck it up and try a real game.  I search around for something that didn't require micropayments (as long as you don't mind tediously working your way through the levels) and I found ARC Squadron: Redux which I have to admit is a lot of fun.

So what do you guys play?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Smartphone games
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »
Pretty much only games for work.  I dunno, I don't really care for the platform as a whole

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »
I played "Dead Trigger" for a bit mostly out of curiosity about the phone's capabilities. It was pretty good. I tried angry birds too, it was fun for a while. I don't really play games on my phone in general though.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »
I usually skim the App store for the popular free games and try some of them out until I get bored and then rinse and repeat.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 06:10:57 PM »
I have a couple tower defense games and Civ Rev.  That's about it.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 06:17:06 PM »
I have a couple tower defense games and Civ Rev.  That's about it.
I was just joking with a friend about playing Civ on a smart phone. Didn't realize it was possible. I imagine I would get nothing done (...does it only run on windows phones?)

Used to play words with friends, then Ruzzle. Only game I have now is Flow free, which is a fun little puzzle game.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 12:03:41 AM »
I usually skim the App store for the popular free games and try some of them out until I get bored and then rinse and repeat.

Thats how I found ARC Sqaudron, it was under "Games to watch."  I gotta say, I'm blown away how awesome it is. Its the first game I've played on my phone that felt like a console style game but only requires one finger to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7yK2yvaFbo
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 03:04:56 PM »
These are the ones on my iPod touch right now (in order of favorites):

Peggle
Angry Birds: (Original, Seasons, Rio, Space)
Cut the Rope: (Original)
Water?
Tiny Wings
Fruit Ninja
Flight Control
Line Runner

I don't really play them except maybe the angry birds ones when a new level comes out.

Also have Real Kakuro and Sudoku2. I still play the former in spurts, not so much the sudoku.

Finally, I have Words with Friends, Scramble with Friends, Wordly and Draw Something. The last one I don't play, but the first three I play with my dad and sister regularly.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »
Starting playing FIFA 14 on my ipad mini. Really good.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:06 PM »
It's the bulk of my gaming these days...perfect for bike at the gym or when I have too little time to do somethign at work before a kid shows up
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 07:55:23 AM »
If you like rogue-like games, Pixel Dungeon is pretty good.  I've put more time into that than I'd care to admit.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:24 PM »
What phones are we rocking these days?

I have a Nokia 920 Windows 8 Phone.

I like it overall.  Well built, nice screen, decent battery, wireless recharging, full MS Office and MS integration, good phone, solid antenna, AMAZING camera.  Oh and durable.  Verrry durable.

MS/Nokia have a solid entry into the market with this phone.  If they keep it up and figure out how to un-piss off the disgruntled W8 crowd on PC they should pick up market share over time.

A bit heavy, short on apps, and accessories relative to the two competitive OSes.

As this is my first foray into a decent phone, I may try an Android next time to compare.  I figure my iPod gives me enough Apple experience to know their ins and outs.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 06:05:37 PM »
Blackberry Bold.  I will never get rid of my shitty blackberries

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 07:47:29 PM »
iPhone 4 here. Company phone but I'd be rocking Apple either way.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »
I have the iPhone 5.  Was a nice upgrade from the 3GS