Author Topic: Red Ring of Death  (Read 29649 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Red Ring of Death
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 07:37:25 PM »
Fuck you dude, seriously.

awwww - don't be sad little RoD.

Aren't you and haven't you been a bit of a dick to RoD lately?   :dunno:

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 08:31:19 PM »
Fuck you dude, seriously.

awwww - don't be sad little RoD.

Aren't you and haven't you been a bit of a dick to RoD lately?   :dunno:

he can take it.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 09:13:23 PM »
hey, don't hijack my thread.

this is about my shitty xbox and how pissed off I am that its broken and out of warranty (or, at least I can't prove its IN warranty) and how now I don't get to play modern warefare 2 on Tuesday -- or possiblly ever  :(
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 09:16:19 PM »
I'm telling you man it is so easy. Get a local shop to drill it for you
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 10:16:51 AM »
I researched prices on new Xbox systems, here are some options

1)   Repair existing xbox:  $99 + shipping = close to $150

2)   Buy New, “Arcade Version” system and attach existing 20 GB Hard Drive (HD) = $200

3)   Buy New, “60 GB” system with a 60 GB HD + a $25 cable to transfer our existing data to the new HD = $275

4)   Buy New “120 GB” system + transfer cable = $320 (comes with Lego Batman and some dirt bike game)

5)   Buy New “Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 2 themed ELITE 250 GB system + transfer cable = $425 (includes COD:MW2 game and console is branded with the modern warfare logos and theme)

#4 is probably the best value while #2 is the most economical.  Although, for any option other than #5, I will SOON want to buy COD:MW2 so the option costs are really more like
1) $200
2) $260
3) $335
4) $380
5) $425

Thoughts? (note I don't really have the money for any of these options yet and I must meet the wife's approval)

EDIT: I e-mail this to my wife this morning and she just wrote me back and said, "option 4 would be the best" so thats cool.  what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:23:01 AM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 10:22:07 AM »
I am officially offering to buy your dead one if you go with a new one. Cause i'll do the reapir and buy MWF2 lol
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 11:21:45 AM »
How much would you pay? :D

edit, the only catch is you'd have to wait 'till I buy a new one if you want the included 20GB hard drive because I want to transfer its contents to the new machine when I get one.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 12:13:24 PM »
PM sent

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 03:23:52 PM »
I figured out that I bought my xbox on 5/17/2007 at Best Buy (2 days after I spent $1,240.18 there on my TV)

I have a transaction in my old ledger spreadsheet showing $540.57 on that date at Best Buy.  I'm pretty sure thats when I bought the Game system and a game or two.

So that way less than three years and it SHOULD be covered by warranty.  Now how the hell can I prove that?

/although, now I kinda wish I could buy a new one... LOL

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 03:40:11 PM »
surely best buy customer case must have a way to view old transaction and issue a recipt....especially if u paid via CC then maybe the company can help

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 03:47:55 PM »
Yeah, your bank or credit card statement might help as well.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 03:50:23 PM »
I wonder if Best Buy would be so kind?  Do you think they have a central system somewhere in which i could just go to any store's customer service counter and ask them to search for transactions totaling $540.57 on May 17, 2007?   Also, my card number has changed several times since then, so it would be impossible to look up by that number.

I paid with my bank card, linked to my checking account.  I suppose I could ask a bank for a copy of my statement -- the best that would do is show I spent a shit load of money at best buy over a 2 day period 2-1/2 years ago.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »
Just had my lads '360 done FOC for the same issue, and he got a brand spanking new one in return. Gotta be worth pushing for some proof of purchase from somewhere - I'd wager that MS don't push for too much proof...

edit>> :lol: @ micah's sig.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »
turns out i had it bookmarked. Up to page 3 is all fluff, but worth a read if u have time. If the drilling part makes u uncomfortable you can take the case and bolts to any local shop and for like $5 (if not free) they will hook you up.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Red-Ring-of-Deathwithout-towels/

Interesting fix, but it's not really fixing the root problem. You really need to reflow the BGA-mount components like this http://www.instructables.com/id/Reflow-Xbox-360/

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 04:48:52 PM »
I started to fill out the repair request online but after I entered the serial number it said that I was past the 3-yr extended warranty time period.  I wish I'd previously registered :(
Turns out i'm an idiot!  :thumbsup:

their stupid user interface on the repair site is misleading and said, "Your warranty Has Expired. Repair Cost: $99.00"

What its means is, "Your 1 year standard warranty has expired but you still have time left on your 3-year red ring of death extended warranty and if you select that from the list of problems on the support registration it will magically change the repair cost to $0.00"

of course it doesn't tell you that so I assumed since I had clicked there from the "I have three flashing red lights" page that it KNEW that was my problem.  I also assumed I hadn't registered my xbox and when I entered my serial number it was "guessing" at when I bought it, based on the manufacturs date or something silly like that.  Turns out that I HAD registered on 7/22/07.

So Ta-Da! I have a repair order now  :D

sorry RoD, I can't sell you mine now but my boss told me yesterday he has his sons broken box. want me to find out if he wants to sell it?