Author Topic: Red Ring of Death  (Read 29647 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Red Ring of Death
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 05:34:13 PM »
I love happy endings. :)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 06:03:25 PM »
I would rather you got the thing fixed and didnt have to buy another one man :)

@rob:

I bookmarked that link as well. The one i fixed using the instructibles guide has been running for a few months perfect, i assume the other one is as well
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »
@RoD > thanks!

So I dropped it off at the UPS store this morning.  They charged me $16.71 for packaging. What a rip off.  I guess thats still better than spending $400 on a new xbox :)

I was so pissed this morning (I already posted this on facebook but I'll say it again here)  The UPS store website shows that the only location near me opens at 8AM so I left home at 7:55 and got there at 8:05.  They don't open until 8:30.  So I went accross the street to a 7-Eleven and got a soda and a muffin and then came back and waited for 15 minutes.

At 8:25 the store's employee showed up and started unlockign the door. I figured I'd wait till he turned the lights on before barging in after him.  Then, all of a sudden two cars pull in to the parking lot and the drivers jump out. And old man and a snotty looking woman grab their boxes and race each other inside.
They totally cut in front of me! So I follow them in and the guy was like "I don't open for another 5 minutes"  So it was 8:45 before I got out of there.  So frustrating.

I e-mailed the store and the websites customer service form to ask them to update the store hours online. 

Anyway, now the waiting begins!

Should it bother me that the tracking number on the UPS slip that xbox gave me shows that my package was already delivered on July 2nd of this year?!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 09:29:43 AM »
UPS fucks up tracking all the time
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 09:33:03 AM »
I called the store and he read the number back to me that he has (which matches what I swear I typed in) and said his system shows the package is awaiting pick up at his location.

So i guess I'll take his word for it  :dunno:

Tracking Number:  1Z8W521V9099231398
Delivered on:     Jul 2, 2009 7:05 P.M.
Signed by:        Shp Manager
Delivered to:     US

Service Type:     GROUND
Weight:           1.00 Lb
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:13:56 AM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 01:11:42 PM »
i had the exact same experience with UPS while shipping concert tickets I sold on Ebay earlier this year.  i really wasn't impressed with the competence level of the guy behind the counter, so i was really nervous when the tracking number he gave me, which I provided to my buyer, was shown as invalid on the website.

I was told to chill by customer service; their screen showed  it was "at location awaiting pickup".  It all worked out; the next day the website was showing the proper tracking information.

I think it just just takes a while for the website to pull the correct information for orders placed at the retail locations...

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 07:06:28 AM »
So the UPS tracking now shows that my package left Hartford, CT last night and is scheduled to arrive in Texas on the 16th.  But it also still shows that it originally arrived in Texas on 7/2/09. I'm guessing the xbox people are reusing their previously created UPS package numbers? maybe? i dunno.

anyway, I must say, I am impressed with MS xBox's repair status tracking screen.  They make it very easy to keep tabs on your progress.  see attached screenshot.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
so, 10 days later, the xbox support site shows my console is fixed  :woot:

the only problem I'm forseeing now is that, the ups tracking number shows that its being sent back "Signature Required" but its more than likely going to come when I'm at work and no one's home to sign.  So this sucks.  Any work arounds for this issue? 

(other than watching the tracking data and guessing when to take a sick day to stay home and wait?)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 11:18:27 AM »
>Any work arounds for this issue?

It's not a big deal. They will usually make two delivery attempts and then leave you a note that says you have to pick it up yourself at their office.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 11:25:37 AM »
good to know.

looks like I wont be getting it back for a while. It took 6 days to get to Texas and I doubt it would be any faster coming back.  At this point it hasn't even been picked up from the repair place yet (UPS has just assigned it a tracking number) So I doubt it will make it to Hartford before Thanksgiving.

And of course, UPS doesn't deliver ground packages on Thanksgiving or the day after or on weekends.   Oh well, I guess I'll have it in early December.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »
You can also call the local UPS office and I believe you can ask them to hold it there so you can pick it up (or just get there before they go out the second day or something). I've done that before to get something earlier than waiting for a couple failed deliveries.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 09:39:37 PM »
So I picked it up tonight at the UPS facility.  Microsoft sent me a "replacement console" so I can "get back to playing and enjoying" my Xbox.

I can't seem to get it working though :(

I put my hard drive on it, plugged in the AV harness (the other end of which is still plugged into the back of my TV from before), plugged in the power cord and turned it on.  I was able to sync the controller without a problem.  So that's all good except for one major problem.  Its not displaying anything on my TV.  WTF?   I rechecked all the connections  turned it off and back on several times and even checked all the input options on my TV in case I'd forgotten which one it was set to (AV1 AV2 S-Video HDMI CABLE etc...)

so this is a bit frustrating.  I'm guessing its the "replacement" console - but I suppose it could be my cables as well (although, what are the odds they'd break during the 3 weeks my box was out for repair.  Unless there's some other setting I'm missing  :dunno:

EDIT:  I took my Hard Drive off and turned the console back on and now it works.  So I know its not the cables or graphics card/port.   
Now its either my HDD or the HDD connection I guess.  thoughts?  I'm gonna go google...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:31:41 AM by micah »

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2009, 10:30:15 PM »
Can someone help me google this problem, I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue on the whole interweb.

When I disconnect my old, 20GB Hard-drive from this "replacement" Xbox360 and power the console on, my TV shows the Xbox start up screen and all is well, except of course I have no storage device connected.

When I re-connect the HDD and power the console on, the Xbox appears to function normally (fans run and green light appears showing connected controller) but there is no A/V signal going to my TV.

help!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:32:52 AM by micah »

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2009, 10:33:16 PM »
my initial thought is a difference in hardware compatibility between the xbox you previously had and this one. I am bettinbg MS overlooked this. Is there any software that installs to the drive that helps configure the xbox?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »
I thought that too (and think it may be the case) but, to my knowledge, the OS on the xBox itself is independent from the HDD which, for all intents and purpose, is like adding a flash drive to your computer.  Its just extra storage and not a critical component to the device.  After all, the Xbox works fine without it being attached.

Also, the box they returned to me appears to be of the same generation as the one I had, at least according to this chart, they sent me back a 1st generation Xbox.

It would be nice if I had a 2nd HDD to test on the box (or a second xbox to test the HDD on) to see if its the drive or the machine. 

edit: I started a thread on the xbox forums: http://forums.xbox.com/30151486/ShowPost.aspx we'll see if anyone is actually helpful in that forum.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:22:40 AM by micah »