Author Topic: Getting a new phone  (Read 3284 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Getting a new phone
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:17:42 AM »
So my iPhone 6 is acting up.  Battery life is all over the map, it no longer vibrates at all, and headphones work only in one ear half the time and the external speaker only works about half the time. 

So I was looking at new iPhones.  I went into it thinking I'd probably get the 8 but the X is only a few bucks more per month.  I did a lot of research last night on the comparison between the 2 and I think I'm ready to take the plunge on the iPhone X.  Unfortunately a lot of the articles I read were from last fall or early this year.

Does anyone know someone that has an X and if they're happy with it?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Getting a new phone
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 02:01:26 PM »
I think I know someone who has an X and I think they're happy with it. But that's not terribly helpful.

Also, I would probably just spend the $30 to replace the battery on the old phone and save the cash.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 03:44:22 PM »
The battery is actually the least of my concerns.  This phone is dying a slow painful death right now on multiple fronts.  Plus my wife gave me the green light and told me I never splurge on myself so ... fuck it.  I'm going for it.  And I'm not buying it outright... letting Verizon just add monthly payments to my bill.  So it's not that painful.

I did find a few threads on reddit and people seem to love it.  I just couldn't find any personal opinions that were legit.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:31:01 AM »
I ordered it last night.  iPhone X should arrive Monday.  Case and wireless charger... hopefully Saturday.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »
Sweet! let us know how it is.  My wife has the 8+ and loves hers. She also has the apple watch which I think is gimicky but she really enjoys.

I forget, did you used to be an android guy who switched to Apple? 
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »
I've actually never had an Android.  My first smartphone was an iPhone which was provided by my former company.  I've been with them ever since.  My wife had an android and really liked it but switched after they stopped making phones with physical keyboards.  So we got fully in and our tablets are ipads and my daughter's phone is an older iphone.  I wouldn't switch at this point because we have the whole ecosystem for devices and it works really well (we run Windows on our computers and the kids have their chromebooks though).

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 04:39:59 PM »
ah ok.

Yeah, I prefer android, but I gave up years ago being a snob about it.  The apple-ecosystem is really good for what it is.  Everyone who uses iphones loves them so I'm not going to argue with that.  Honestly, I give my wife slack about her iwatch but there's no comparable andorid device on the market.  Google recently released their new watch OS (which of course lets iphone users buy google-watches) but that OS hasn't been implemented in anything as good as the iwatch, IMHO.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »
If I found a compelling reason to get the watch I might ask for one for christmas or something but I haven't found that reason yet.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »
I have been loyal to Motorola phones for quite sometime - probably since the last BlackBerry i had! - mainly do to the battery life. But those iPhone X's look cool too. I almost got one my last update but couldn't tolerate the price..
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 09:37:47 AM »
I'm actually getting a $250 trade in on my iphone 6 (which is a promotion) so it makes it comparable to getting an iphone 8.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »
Well my Nexus 5X finally died (suddenly) so I had to get a new phone last weekend. I ended up getting a OnePlus 6T. Unfortunately I needed it immediately and ended up getting it from T-Mobile since they carry them. Then as I'm setting it up and configuring things I find out that it's actually a "carrier" phone and thus is missing the dual sim ability and direct OS updates from OnePlus and instead require waiting for T-Mobile to package their own so they can "test it" on their network to make sure it works well.

I do like the phone though so I ordered one from the company instead and I'm going to be returning the T-Mobile one as soon as the other one arrives. I don't mind T-mobile throwing a splash screen or something on their phone or even a couple convenience apps (that I'd prefer to be able to remove) but it feels like it should technically be a different model or have some indication that it's not the same phone you're getting from the website, especially since OnePlus has a "find store" link.

Learned my lesson there I guess not to buy from a partner in the future I guess.
This signature intentionally left blank.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
I was actually kind of looking forward to the dual sim since I'd planned on dipping my toe into using Google Fi but didn't want to give up my old cell number as well. So I think I might end up getting a card for my google voice number and see about transitioning.
This signature intentionally left blank.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 02:30:23 PM »
Ooh, my husband just bought the Pixel 3 (we're already on Fi) but he was looking at the OnePlus 6T too. I had literally never heard of it until yesterday.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 09:35:27 PM »
I guess an update: I love my iPhone X.  I do not miss the button one bit and actually prefer the gestures.  I got my wife and iPad Pro for xmas so she can do some of her digital artwork on it (also got her the Apple Pencil) and now she's wishing she got the X when she upgraded to the 8 Plus.  The face recognition is amazing, even in low light!