Author Topic: Opera in general (not version specific)  (Read 4902 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Opera in general (not version specific)
« on: May 11, 2005, 10:18:38 AM »
I don't know how many of you do this, but I leave Opera open all the time at work... with at least 4 windows open at all times.  As long as I'm using it fairly regularly, everything is fine, but if I come into work in the morning and start to do some browsing, I'll refresh one page and then it'll hang for a little bit (10-15 sec sometimes) before giving me control of it again.

It's not that bothersome, just a tiny bit annoying.  I'm just curious if it is this POS work computer and it's even shittier network or if anyone else has seen this behavior?

PING

• Scream !
  • Jackass II
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 03:28:19 PM »
same here ober....been having that problem for some time now. I used to keep opera open too, but these days i shut it down when the works done. Thats been helpful to overcome this shit. Btw, ive had this prob with 8 beta as well as 7.54 n 7.23, so i dont think this is version specific.
Assassins do it from behind.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 03:51:35 PM »
I've seen it too.  I've also noticed that it's much more likely to crash if you have multible windows open than if you're just using one.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 03:54:14 PM »
I haven't had the crashing problems... it just wants to hang from time to time.  I haven't seen it get better in the final version of 8 either.

And Ping, as far as closing it, that's more of a hassle than waiting for it to stop hanging, because I have to authenticate to the network everytime I open the browser.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 05:50:58 PM »
hmm ive never had anything like this happen. If i close americas army and right away launch opera it takes a sec to come up but thats because its freeing memory. I run almost 8 apps with army so its hard on the pc.....thats weird.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

PING

• Scream !
  • Jackass II
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 06:08:04 PM »
no crashing probs here..it just hangs. The "hanging" lasts for bout 3-4 secs..also,i have noticed this happening if i have a lot of open apps and i try to use mouse gestures.
Assassins do it from behind.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 07:45:05 PM »
Maybe opera's libs get swapped out of memory and it takes a bit to swap them back in when you start using it. :dunno:

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 08:10:03 PM »
sounds like a problem within the pc itsself as far as how much memory it has to cover the request and how your particular system is answering that demand, imo.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

aran

• the capital of djibouti is djibouti
  • Jackass III
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 11:08:44 PM »
One word:

Terrorism.
this apparatus must be unearthed.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 08:57:35 AM »
:eek:  I never thought of that aran!  :(

And I don't think it is a memory issue.  I have a 2.8GHz P4 with 512 mb DDR here at work... not exactly hurting for speed, ya know?  And on any given day when this is occuring, here's what I have open:

Outlook
Opera
some web IDE (Homesite 5.5 usually)
SQL Server Enterprise Manager
Winamp
Weatherbug
and maybe a CSS editor or something

It's not that much of a system load.