Author Topic: New system for our company  (Read 4069 times)

salvelinus

• Founders
New system for our company
« on: July 21, 2005, 07:31:04 PM »
We currently use a DOS based flat file db (FilePro) to conduct surveys for clients. It's a cumbersome system, requiring various text files to be produced which can then be manipulated by Access or Excel, and some of this is then exported to MySql so clients can view data on the web. It's basically a hodgepodge of systems built up the last dozen years or so, each layer being added as time went on.
We want to move to a new, more integrated system. The owners have gone with a local firm of a couple of guys who I know from a previous job. They're ok, but they want to develop the system in Delphi (a visual version of Turbo Pascal, with similarities to VB but more db capability), and change from free MySql to MS Sql Server.
Ok. We want to have the license to work on the code, since many clients have customized needs. But I'm the only one who's worked on Delphi, and not much at that. And none of us have worked on Sql Server. And this will have to interface with MS Office, or the rest of folks will be clueless, or more so than they are now.
Anyway, it's not my decision ultimately, although I have input. What questions should I ask or stuff to look out for? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 08:18:28 AM »
MS Sql Server isn't bad, and is quite robust.  Granted, it's not free, but it does have a great interface (Enterprise Manager), though the tools that are being developed for MySQL aren't far off.

As far as Delphi, I have no clue.  I've never even seen it.  I would personally ask if they can make everything web-based.  You can do so much with the web these days that it is getting to the point that system based programming is becoming cumbersome.  I've come up with several applications that I thought about building and just running from my website for various companies.  There is no installation and deployment time is zero after development is finished.  Plus you can get to it from anywhere.

However, back to the topic.... I guess I'd just make sure they comment their code well for when you go in to hack on it.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 11:35:16 AM »
@MS sql Server
If you need to access the code for customizations then MS Sql server simply isnt an option, MySql or PostgreSQL would be better choices.

@Delphi
You could try convincing them that its the 21st century and there are better tools out there. Java, C#, python... even perl or C/C++ if your feeling brave.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 01:56:42 PM »
If this is going to be an enterprise system (ie: web based) then SQL Server could get expensive. I'd try hard to push for MySQL or PostreSQL if your company isn't afraid of open source solutions.
Is this going to be a web application or a desktop app? If it's desktop app then Delphi isn't a bad choice but if it's a web app then I'd go for Java, C# or PHP.
The backend database shouldn't really matter since your app really should be portable enough to work on any of them. If you're requirements aren't large you could look into MSDE too.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 02:04:48 PM »
>>If you need to access the code for customizations then MS Sql server simply isnt an option, MySql or PostgreSQL would be better choices.

I don't understand that comment.  Please elaborate.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 04:07:03 PM »
>>I don't understand that comment. Please elaborate.

The OP said "We want to have the license to work on the code, since many clients have customized needs". I took that to mean the DBMS.

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 12:17:56 PM »
Delphi I haven't looked at it much, but the comparison to VB is good except it is very much quicker, dunno if it compiles to native code (well VB kinda does...) but that would give it two very good ticks against its name. Bad points are lack of use and its a borland product (i believe so anyway) which I personally don't like, think its just the lack of microsoft GUI style (don't flame me...).

He means the actual source code not the DB interface source code...