Author Topic: PhoneGap  (Read 3120 times)

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
PhoneGap
« on: June 20, 2013, 06:08:00 AM »
Any of you guys had any experience with using PhoneGap?

Easy? Quick? Downsides?

I need to get some (android) mobile apps written, and to me it seems like the way to get started quickly. I'm not really much of a Java guy, and the Google SDK overwhelms me a bit.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: PhoneGap
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:14:17 AM »
I haven't released any projects into the wild but have used it several times (pushing apps out to my own device) and it is very awesome.  You're not going to beat compiled languages for building things like fast-paced games* but phonegap and its plugin's otherwise give you all the hardware access you need for any standard app.

*an interesting read (they weren't using phonegap but the drawbacks they were addressing are the same)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
Perfect. Thanks Micah. Do you use it with Eclipse?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:19:52 PM »
Perfect. Thanks Micah. Do you use it with Eclipse?

no, I just write code as HTML5/JavaScript in my IDE of choice (dreamweaver at work and phpDesigner8 at home) -- dreamweaver has the phonegap build service built in but I find that uploading directly to build.phonegap.com (which also allows you to simply link a GitHub repository) to be even easier.

That said, all the tutorials and plugins seem to be written with eclipse in mind so, if you use it or don't have another preference, it seems to be the way to go.  (also, if you do iOS development you'll probably need to user xcode at some point.  I have a developer license from work but haven't even bothered trying to publish an iOS app yet because of all the hoops apple makes you jump through)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 06:32:23 AM »
OK, finally(!) got it working in Eclipse (I think) thanks to this.

Now the fun begins. Micah, please brace yourself for a barrage of questions!