Author Topic: WOOT! New Mouse for Knuck  (Read 5306 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
WOOT! New Mouse for Knuck
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:39:06 AM »
 :woot:

I ordered a Microsoft Sidewinder X8 this weekend.  $60.

http://www.dragonsteelmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11868&Itemid=1

Been waiting to get my hands on one since the press release last year.

Really looking forward to the new hardware. 

:woot:

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: WOOT! New Mouse for Knuck
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 08:44:56 AM »
once you get it, let me know how it feels. My mouse crapped out a couple weeks ago and I'm using a cheap $10 replacement atm until I find one I really like. $60 is a bit more than I wanted to spend, but if it is worth it, I'll do it.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:10:03 AM »
I wont use anything but Logitech. I ventured from that to try the Zboard mouse (i always loved my zboard) and after 3 replacements i went back to logitech. One of the best mice i ever had is still my MX510 RIP. Never been too impressed with anything in the Sidewinder series really, but definitly let us know how you like it. Hand fatigue, weight, sweaty palms or not sweaty palms, etc.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 09:18:47 AM »
>>sweaty palms

is this a problem for some people?  I must be surfing the wrong websites.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »
I currently use a Logitech MX518.  Love it.  But, the durability has been terrible.  At least one of the buttons fail about every six months.  Usually it is the thumb side "back" button.  I had the same issue with a Logitech G5.  I stayed with the Logitech series because they are fit well in my hand, although they could be a tiny bit larger.  Also I get them at a substantial discount.

I get the sweaty palm thing.  Yuck.

I tried a Logitech G9 and found it to be laggy when I gamed, so back it went.

I hate using a corded mouse, however gaming cordless was a nightmare.

The Microsoft is larger than the Logitech series and can be wired or wireless.  Reviews say gaming is completely lag free.  I guess I will see soon enough.

I will update you on initial feel as soon as I get it installed.

I will check MX8 performance in browsing, office type applications, and gaming keeping you updated as I experience real world day to day mouse time.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:50:18 AM »
>>sweaty palms

Gaming. When the adrenaline gets pumping your body tempature rises and the plastic used in some mouse's causes your palms to sweat.

The MX518 did suck, and i didnt like the weight. I took mine apart and removed the weight. I did the same thing on my 510 but at least that wasnt too heavy with it.  My 510 was thrown against more walls then i can count, and was even use to wack me upside my head by an ex gf. It lasted from the day they released until last september when i slammed it and it finally had enough.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 10:19:01 AM »
>>sweaty palms

:lol:

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »
I hope it works out for you Knuck.  I still use my Diamondback Razer (sp?).  It's always been solid for me and I don't mind being corded.  I do get the sweaty palm thing and I rest half of my hand on my Razer mousepad and it's been known to get so sweaty that my cursor hangs up and I have to wipe the mousepad to get it to track properly.

Grossed out yet?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
Grossed out yet?

Very much so, i hope your boy doesnt inherit that too. Guess your palms are the one place you could actually stand to gain some hair.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:17:10 PM »
Got it and installed the driver package a few minutes ago.

Nice setup.  Good looking.  No issues thus far.

Slides nicer than the Logitech but not as hyper fast as the Razer.
Button placement is also better.
Scroll wheel has better clicks than the Logi but the wheel seems slipperier.
BIG mouse.  Tall.  Definitely not for small hands.  One full size larger than the Logitech.  Don't know if that is good or bad yet.

The charger setup is amazing.

No lag in game yet.  Wired or not.

Works on glass.

Has a 180 degree setting so that you can snap 180 degrees in a click and back again.  Very nice in FPS games.

More to come..

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:53:43 AM »
Spent time gaming last night with it.

Less sweaty palms.  Nice.

180 spin nice but needs further calibration (easy).

Alt fire works so much faster and is so much more responsive, that it completely changes the game.

Rocker FWD and BACK buttons rule over my previous set.

Wireless is awesome.  No lag.  None.

Recharge is stunning.  It magnetically "grabs" the charge link.  All I have to do is get them close to each other.

The mouse is large but has a very nice layout for all fingers involved.  Each individual finger except your smallest.  HOWEVER it is tall and not made for small hands.  It is at least as tall as the Revolution.  I still have not decided if I am okay with the height.  I haven't had any comfort issues but the center of balance may be  a little on the high side.

Will update again after a few nights play.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 10:22:52 AM »
Sounds good,

and this

>>Wireless is awesome.  No lag.  None.

is encouraging.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
Sounds good,

and this

>>Wireless is awesome.  No lag.  None.

is encouraging.

No kidding there.  I have gamed with a couple wireless models and have always been disappointed.  This mouse, used in wireless mode, proved more responsive than my wired Logitech.

10/10 for wired resonse

10/10 for wireless response

10/10 for charger design

9/10 for slider pad(s) design.  (only Razer is noticeably slicker)

10/10 for wireless range (worked in the next room with the doors open)

10/10 for comfort if you have huge hands (guessing here...)

0/10 for comfort if you have small hands (wife)

8/10 for comfort with medium large hands (me - balance takes getting used to)

10/10 setup

?/10 for software tweaks, macros, etc (I have not played with the stuff enough)

6.5/10 for roller wheel (works fine but...I dunno....seems maybe to slippy on my finger...undecided here...I like the side to side plenty...more to come I guess)

My first finger and thumbs are very calloused and slick from decades of soldering, working with hot steel, and dealing with strong cleaning chemicals so I may not be such a good judge here.  I will see what the others that purchased the mouse in my clan think and get back to you.

Still I think it is the best mouse I have owned to date. 

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 01:05:35 PM »
More details on the roller wheel, because they are easy to modify. Same with slide. Take the rubber pads off the bottom and take some 1200g sand paper to it.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 01:36:44 PM »
More details on the roller wheel, because they are easy to modify. Same with slide. Take the rubber pads off the bottom and take some 1200g sand paper to it.

I find that the Razer mouse has such an ultra slippery surface, that precision aiming can be difficult.  They actually feel like they are filled with helium they are so fast and light.  However when playing Pyro in TF2 with a little practice, you can get a much better hit ratio.

I consider the white feet on the MX8 ideal for browsing and gaming.  I will not change them.  I didn't like the stock set (black), as they were a bit too slow, so I switched to the white and am more than pleased.  They include three separate sets (white, gray, and black feet) that are neatly stored in the receiver each of which has different friction characteristics.  I stopped at the white ones because they seem perfect.

What do you suggest for modifying the wheel if I decide that I need a stickier surface?  I was thinking a light sanding with Scotch-Brite and a coating of something that has durability yet dries with a rubberized surface.  I have trouble with my Logitech when the rubber gets a bit old as well.  It isn't just a problem with the MX surface.

One of the video reviewers bitched about text sensitivity and a loose wheel.  MS said he got a bum unit.  No updates since...  Mine does not display these characteristics at all.

I will post the review if I can locate it.