Author Topic: went comcast all the way.  (Read 3345 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
went comcast all the way.
« on: June 30, 2015, 11:00:48 AM »
Had Directv for ages, coupled with comcast internet for a few years. All the promotional stuff expired, and I got a hardware upgrade last year which put me on another 2 year commitment with DirecTV. Long story short, my last few bills were $175 for TV and internets. We've also been having some issues with directv's genie - it would not record certain episodes and cut off others.

A few weeks ago a comcast door to door sales guy came by - I usually don't give these guys the time of day, but I think I need to start! So now, and for the next two years, we have comcast TV (220 channels), HBO and Stars, 110mbps internet, AND Comcast security/alarm for $126 a month! I have to say, comcast's DVR has really improved since I've seen it last. Looks more like netflix. Also the ondemand stuff is much nicer and cleaner than on directv. The alarm is slick too, motion detector, cameras, etc etc....you can connect all kinds of other shit to it too. Plus it saved me $75 on my home insurance bill.

So, all-in-all I had to buy out my comitment from directv for $340, but over the span I will make this up in a few months.

so far so good with comcast.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: went comcast all the way.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 11:04:23 AM »
on a side note, it is a shame that companies like this do not value loyalty from their customers. You have to switch to competition to get the "deal" pricing. I gave directv a shot - and they took off $15 from my bill. Not nearly enough.

After we committed to comcast, I called to cancel directtv and I told them as much - they said promotional pricing is below cost - I find that hard to believe. He couldn't do more on the pricing but wanted to give me the sports package.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 11:06:50 AM »
Comcast is fine until you need any type of customer service then they become an unholy beast of despair

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:10:42 AM »
Any idea where you'll be at in 2 years on the price?  I never knew cable companies were in the home security gig.  We're at ~$130ish a month for tv and internet (15mbps) + HBO through Time Warner.  I wish I could get Cox in my area.  They're close by and their service seems superior.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »
in two years I will be at $160 or so.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 09:29:54 AM »
That's still not bad if the security is still part of it and you keep the 100mbps.  I'm sure you could drop HBO/Stars and save too.  Thanks for the info.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 01:47:56 PM »
I've always hated comcast for TV, but if their new DVR is decent I'd consider them.

Just has to be decent.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »
By the way.. here's the most recent prices I found when looking at TV+internet in my area:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOqxD6CRZgZYBDN7qChVeKPgI9uqAVfXprOL_9CWWQw/edit?usp=sharing