Author Topic: Post your unpopular gaming opinions  (Read 9949 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Post your unpopular gaming opinions
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 02:18:34 PM »
No, the "Imp randomly pops up behind you" part of Doom got old really fast.

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 02:42:17 PM »
That's a fair comment, actually but I liked some of the pda humour and the visuals, particularly chunks of hell which were rather impressive. The sounds were good and spooky, too. The last game that had me trying to look around the side of my monitor before Doom3 was Doom2.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 02:46:38 PM »
You ever play System Shock 2?  It'd look dated now, but it was scary as hell when it came out.  The graphics are based on the Dark Engine (from Thief), but the sounds are still excellent.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 02:54:25 PM »
Half-Life 2 - so much potential yet wasted on a boring get from point A to point B and kill everything in between game.

Any of the online battleground games like Battlefield 2.  Nothing against the game but just got tired of having to kill hyperactive jumping/crouching/running kiddies.  Any game where jumping around like a fool improves your chance of survival gets a no from me.

Any of the Tomb Raider series.  Nearly impossible to control and figure out what to do.

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 02:55:32 PM »
Quote from: Govtcheez
You ever play System Shock 2? It'd look dated now, but it was scary as hell when it came out. The graphics are based on the Dark Engine (from Thief), but the sounds are still excellent.
No [me]does quick google for screenies - aah-ha!, early zombie flensing...[/me] but I did play some of Thief 1 & 2. They didn't grab me so I donated them to a friend's small children who apparently had oodles of fun with those games.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Bassy

• Red Panda
  • Jackass IV
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 06:58:08 PM »
Deus Ex 2 - Invisible War - how to take a bloody good game and completely and utterly turn it into the most boring and easiest sequel to complete ever!

Then Splinter Cell - looked forward to that and it was so easy i finished the thing completely in stealth mode without killing anyone (even though it does register that i killed one of the objectives - when i had only knocked him out - bit silly that)

Diablo agree with Cheez...
HL2 - have got a bit bored with it now i am outside and have a squad - i dont want a squad - meh i'll just use them for cannon fodder whilst i pick off people with my crossbow.

[ps. both system shocks were cool and i also loved the thief games as i love stealth games]
People in bamboo houses shouldn't throw pandas

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 12:12:27 AM »
Quote from: PJYelton
Any of the online battleground games like Battlefield 2.  Nothing against the game but just got tired of having to kill hyperactive jumping/crouching/running kiddies.  Any game where jumping around like a fool improves your chance of survival gets a no from me.

If you're playing BF2 for the hand to hand combat, you're missing 70% of the game.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 12:13:16 AM »
Quote from: Ken Fitlike
I'd disagree about Doom3 - I liked it a lot (and Resurrection of Evil); the darkness can be tweaked by ramping up the gamma (but too much, as with any other game and everything looks crap pretty quickly). I think you didn't like it, Ober, because you're just big girl's blouse who's scared of his own shadow. :tongue2:

I may have been pissed at that game because of my shitty monitor at the time.  Now that I've bought a new monitor that is not as dark, I may have to try it again.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 01:46:14 AM »
Quote from: ober
If you're playing BF2 for the hand to hand combat, you're missing 70% of the game.

Yeah, I admit to only briefly playing BF2, just the whole genre annoys me so I couldn't get past that.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 02:34:04 AM »
Yeah, I can't think of that many noteworthy Genesis games

I played Shining Force for like hours on end...thats the greatest platform rpg ive ever played
i have a stationary fetish

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 06:17:29 PM »
SS2 did the PDA thing years ago.  You also frequently ran into the owner's ghosts.

They set it up so well for a sequel - I doubt it'll ever come, though :(

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 08:31:53 PM »
Quote from: ethic
(nws)

http://stfu.eikern.net/?name=Govtcheez

Hehe. :D!

is that penn? how'd they conn him into doing that?

another unpopular opinion: rpg's are boring and your time is better spent dealing with real people than collecting points in a world which is well-constructed but doesn't give you the freedom to do random stuff (like digging a really large hole, and then pushing someone into it, for instance)

it would actually kick ass to have a real 3d multiplayer enviroment where you could build buildings and steeples and etc and show them off and collect tourism points

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 09:46:34 PM »
> it would actually kick ass to have a real 3d multiplayer enviroment where you could build buildings and steeples and etc

Check out a game called Second Life