Author Topic: best way to do a steak on the grill  (Read 10295 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: best way to do a steak on the grill
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »
Ever just wanna go take a bite out of a nice warm living cow?

but enough about my mom
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:28:03 AM by KnuckleBuckett »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 09:57:27 AM »
So either I didn't have the grill hot enough or I just suck.  It seemed alright but was waaaay red when I pulled it off.  My ignitor is busted and I had already turned off the grill so I couldn't throw it back on.  I ended up throwing it in a skillet to finish it. 

Overall, it still ended up being half decent despite the cooking methods.  It's a major jump from the POS I made a few nights ago.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »
If the outside is done but the inside is still too underdone for your liking, the grill is too hot, not too low.  That's why I was saying to do indirect heating until you're at the doneness you're looking for.  It gives it a chance to cook through the rest of the way.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »
So either I didn't have the grill hot enough or I just suck.  It seemed alright but was waaaay red when I pulled it off.  My ignitor is busted and I had already turned off the grill so I couldn't throw it back on.  I ended up throwing it in a skillet to finish it. 

Overall, it still ended up being half decent despite the cooking methods.  It's a major jump from the POS I made a few nights ago.

Using a grill just like anything else takes time and experience.  You will get it.  every grill has a different feel to it.  Some are easy to use successfully and some are nearly impossible to make work well. 

It helps to have grill grates that have lots of mass (cast or heavy SS).  The thermal mass can generate sear and fond without cooling too much from the cooling effect of the steak being dropped on at room temp.  Yeah, another tip.  Let the steak come up to room temp before grilling it.

You said when you pulled it off...did it stick?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2011, 11:41:11 AM »
> Let the steak come up to room temp before grilling it.

Also, cover it loosely with aluminum foil for 5-10 minutes before you cut it.  It'll cook a little further and the juices will be preserved better.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »
> Let the steak come up to room temp before grilling it.

Also, cover it loosely with aluminum foil for 5-10 minutes before you cut it.  It'll cook a little further and the juices will be preserved better.

The juices redistribute, so that when you cut it they don't all pressurize out drying the steak.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 12:24:29 PM »
OK, so maybe it was too hot... I thought you had to have it hot to sear it?  I did move it to indirect near the end but maybe i seared it too long.

No, it didn't stick... maybe that was bad terminology.

I did let it sit for about 10 minutes before cutting into it, but I didn't have it covered.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 02:07:04 PM »
If the outside is done but the inside is still too underdone for your liking, the grill is too hot, not too low.  That's why I was saying to do indirect heating until you're at the doneness you're looking for.  It gives it a chance to cook through the rest of the way.

In general yes, but if you cooked a 1inch steak for 15 minutes and the outside is tough and the inside is RAW I'd say it was too cool. 15 minutes on a grill that is too hot would burn a steak.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »
I never cover when I let the steaks (burgers whatever) rest.  I have tried it in the past, and didn't notice a difference. 

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 10:36:34 PM »
I finally did the stove method tonight.  Probably the best steak I've ever made.  I rubbed in some salt and pepper and let it sit at room temp for about 40 minutes.  I got the oven to about 450 with a cast iron skillet inside.  Brought it out, threw it on the burner at full for about 2 minutes and threw the steak in.  Waited 2 minutes, flipped it, and threw the whole it back in the oven.  I waited about 12 minutes.  I'd say it was probably medium to medium well.  I let it sit for about 10 minutes afterwards.  Awesome flavor, really juicy.. it was awesome.  :)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 01:31:42 AM »
I finally did the stove method tonight.  Probably the best steak I've ever made.  I rubbed in some salt and pepper and let it sit at room temp for about 40 minutes.  I got the oven to about 450 with a cast iron skillet inside.  Brought it out, threw it on the burner at full for about 2 minutes and threw the steak in.  Waited 2 minutes, flipped it, and threw the whole it back in the oven.  I waited about 12 minutes.  I'd say it was probably medium to medium well.  I let it sit for about 10 minutes afterwards.  Awesome flavor, really juicy.. it was awesome.  :)

It's a really good way to do it. Cheez put me onto that a few years ago, and if you get the skillet nice and hot it's quite amazing.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?