Author Topic: Effort In Futility Pays Off  (Read 7200 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Effort In Futility Pays Off
« on: April 14, 2005, 11:39:07 PM »
Well after two weekend and a few other late nights (and around a dozen or so OS installs) I finally have my new dedicated webserver up. I got my old AMD 300 PC I got when I started college back from my dad after I gave him a slightly new one I had. The idea was to swap the CPU with a spare 500mhz one I had laying around, get a bigger hard drive and run it as a dedicated webserver. Long story short after flashing the BIOS to handle the bigger harddrive it took me some work just to get an OS installed. Once that worked, my network card decided that it no longer wanted to work. I ended up getting a new network card today but almost gave it up when that one didn't seem like it wanted to work at first either. One last OS install from scratch with the new network card in place and the BIOS settings back to defaults I was able to get everything working properly. This really tested my geekness since I haven't done this sort of thing for a while. It's so much easier with all new equipment.
So in the next couple of days I should have my website back up and I'm thinking of putting an FTP server on it too for folks to park some files if needed. Now it's time for me to go to bed and hope the machine is still running in the morning.

Specs:
FIC VA503+ Mainboard (slightly vintage baby ;))
AMD K6 500mhz
256mb SDRAM
3gb main drive (with OS)
40gb storage drive
This signature intentionally left blank.

jverkoey

• Jackass III
    • http://TheJeffFiles.com/
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 01:46:08 AM »
How do you go about running a dedicated server?  I've always wanted to do something like that, but whenever I even try and set up a webserver on my XP machine, it doesn't work.  I've worked with xampp which has worked for me previously on my XP Home laptop, and I even had people connecting to it from outside my intranet at home.

However, on my new computer, it's still got XP Home (SP2 now) but when I install xampp, I can hardly even view local php pages....I've noticed that the xampp I just recently installed is a much newer version than the previous one I had that worked, so possibly that could be causing it?

Anyway, what software are you using for your server?  I'm guessing you've set up a linux distro.
-Jeff Verkoeyen

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 08:36:38 AM »
xampp huh?  Why don't you take the hard route and install all the pieces yourself, then you'll actually know what is going on.  And a dedicated server would mean you don't use it for personal use.  It's sole purpose is to sit there and respond to http/ftp requests.

And good job TGM.  I know the frustrations of trying to get old hardware to work... I just wish I could use my server for more than local stuff.  I can only setup FTP because my freakin ISP blocks port 80 :(

l33t-5h1t

• The artist formerly known as Waldo
  • Jackass III
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 10:57:28 AM »
>>block port 80

who's your ISP?? cause that's just fucking retarded. At work I just spent the better part of a week trying to figure out why I couldn't get a VPN connection from home, but I could from within the local network...turns out it wasn't the router but the ISP itself which was blocking ALL incoming ports. Jerkoffs, had to get a hold of the actual net admin there just to get the ports opened up.

And as far as a dedicated server goes, you could use any OS you want (though I would go linux/bsd myself). The only requirements ober already covered...that and it has to be stable.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 11:08:22 AM »
Adelphia, and I know they're not the only ones that do it.

jverkoey

• Jackass III
    • http://TheJeffFiles.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 12:55:01 PM »
Quote from: ober
xampp huh?  Why don't you take the hard route and install all the pieces yourself, then you'll actually know what is going on.  And a dedicated server would mean you don't use it for personal use.  It's sole purpose is to sit there and respond to http/ftp requests.

I'd just gotten xampp as I'd had it referred to me by a friend as a good piece of software to start off with.  Although you're right in that it makes more sense to get the pieces individually.  Now I'll probably end up working on that over the weekend, hah.
-Jeff Verkoeyen

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 12:57:52 PM »
Use linux and apache :)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 01:35:20 PM »
Comcast doesnt block port 80, yet.

Thats almost identical to my webserver box tgm, except im running 512MB of ram, a 20gig hdd, and win2k server.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 03:44:30 PM »
My old box was a Linux machine but this box is running Win2k for now and I'll be using Tomcat since I'm a Java guy. I'd rather run FreeBSD but I got it running with Win2k and right now I don't want to temp fate. I tried Fedora and FreeBSD with the other network card and they at least installed but I couldn't get the network card to get an IP address. I'm not so sure this new network card will work with *nix yet. I'll have to do some research.

Ober, if you want to run a website I use no-ip.com, it's free and they do port redirects to get around your ISP.

jverkoey, make sure SP2 didn't mess with your firewall settings. I've used XAMPP before and it's pretty much unzip and run, so it's likely something else.
This signature intentionally left blank.