Technical & Scientific > Hardware

Projectors and screens

(1/5) > >>

Perspective:
Thinking of putting a projector and screen in the basement, anyone have any experience with them? There's so much crap out there on the market.

micah:
I have no experience, but how big a screen are you going for? With cost of TV's coming down, you could probably get a 60-something inch TV for less that setting up an expensive screen and projector.

ober:
I'm with Micah.  I just bought a beautiful 55" TV which is big enough for large-ish rooms and it was only like 650.  Unless you're trying to go really big, why would you bother with projection?

Perspective:
The idea with the projection is that it doesn't occupy any space with a retractable screen. It's the layout of my basement.

Basically my basement is a big rectangle, and it's just a huge play area for the kids which is great. We put a nice sectional in one corner so parents can be comfortable during play dates. I want a screen that's viewable from the couch without dividing the space.

In the middle of the basement the ceiling drops down (covering the ducts). I thought of hanging a retractable screen there. It's about 10 feet from the couch and I could put the projector on the window sill behind the couch. So it would only divide the room when the screen is down and wouldn't occupy any space otherwise.

I'm looking at $500 - 700 CDN (maybe $350 - $600 USD)

ober:
Ah, that makes more sense.  Sounds reasonable but I can't really recommend anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version