Author Topic: Tasty burger  (Read 1917 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Tasty burger
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »
Burgers from last night
Patty:
.8 lb ground beef
1 lb uncased hot Italian sausage
2 jalapenos finely chopped
2 yellow chili peppers finely chopped
1/4 red onion finely chopped (was actually too much and had to pull some out so maybe more like 1/3)
Worcestershire sauce
Garlic powder
1 egg
Planko

Topping:
Jalapenos, yellow chili pepper, and yellow onion cut into strips with kosher salt.  Sauteed until cooked but not charring.
Green leaf lettuce
Tomato
Mayo
Dijon mustard

Wheat buns

So I was at the store getting the ingredients and originally I picked up only the beef.  After I had gotten the rest of the stuff I thought that maybe there wasn't enough beef but when I went back there was an old woman sitting in front of all the ground beef.  While I waited I saw the uncased sausage and decided to use it instead of more beef.

At home I chopped and sliced the peppers.  Now here is a pro-tip I learned the last time I cut those peppers:  WEAR GLOVES.  Seriously, last time I had my hands tingling the next morning due to all the acids (and I washed my hands a good half dozen time).  This time there were no problems.

I got the meat, peppers, powder, and sauce in and mixed together.  Thankfully the beef and pork ended up mixing just fine once I got my hands in there and kneaded it.  Add the onions later as I almost forgot them.  I added the egg as a binder but really it made it too liquidity.  Since I didn't have any normal bread crumbs I used the planko.  Little worried at first since planko is fairly crunchy but I let it sit a bit and it seemed to dissolve just fine.

The sauteed peppers ended up being a little too salty but once in the burger it was fine.  The important thing here is you want them hot and sweet.

I made 1/3 to 1/4 lb patties and cooked them on my George Foreman grill (love that thing).  The end result was a burger that had plenty of heat but a nice sweetness to it.  The beef and pork cooked nicely together and it was a medium density burger.

I ended up frying up more of the meat this morning to go with breakfast.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Tasty burger
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »
Sounds pretty good, may have to try that. I liked my GF grill too (my sister says I can do things with a a foreman grill that even foreman can't dream up) but nothing beats a fire pit with wood out in the sticks
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?