Author Topic: Fitness megathread - discuss weight loss, fat loss, working out, etc here!  (Read 79404 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: fat burner
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 04:15:39 PM »
almost a year, steady. u would never know it. I do alot too, ive actually considered steroids.

I'll read through that in a bit, thnx :) Off to hit the trails for a bit and see if my buddy wants to take the kayaks out
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 05:47:09 PM »
almost a year, steady. u would never know it. I do alot too, ive actually considered steroids.
Steroids aren't going to turn you into some musclebound tower of awesome.  You're not getting stronger because your workout sucks and your diet probably sucks.

edit: to elaborate, you're doing

arm one where i push it out and up - I don't know what the fuck this is.  Do you mean like a hammer press?
the pull down bar - this works your lats (back), but is much better replaced by rows
the fold in (the arms have pins that come out, and they squeeze in) - I don't know what the fuck this is either, but I'm going to guess you're talking about flys, which works your chest, but is much better replaced by a bench press or other things
curls - obviously these work your biceps, but there are better ways to do this
crunches - are worthless unless you're doing them weighted and your bodyfat is way lower than yours is
pushups - worthless unless you're doing them with weight, like a backpack full of stuff
leg lift - this is good, but you'd benefit from doing them weighted
pullups - pullups kick ass

so you're doing 1 lift that works your biceps, one that works your chest, one that works your back, and one that targets most of your upper body (the pullups).  That's it.  You also didn't say how much weight you do or how many reps or how many sets.

Your workout is awful.  I'm not trying to be a dick, but it is.  You've got no lower body work (which will be good for your knee if you take it slow), everything you're doing is isolation except the pullups, and you seem really misinformed as to training in general.  I'm thinking a lot of it has to do with you using that home gym thing.  You seem locked into doing stuff on that, but I'd really recommend going to some local gyms, finding one that has dumbbells up to like 100+ lb, tons of barbells, a squat rack/power cage, and some cardio equipment.  Seriously, they're not that expensive and most will have trainers that will help you with your form and make sure you're not going to hurt yourself.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 06:09:40 PM by Govtcheez »

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 07:31:46 PM »
Thanks for the tips, going to try it your way lol. And your right, i need to push my legs more. I can tell from the slowly building starts of  "flab" that they are suffering from the knee surgery. Time to start it back up and see what it can take.

Thanks man, ill try this stuff and do some more reasearch. I'll try and take pics of the bench later and describe what i meant
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 08:01:37 PM »
No problem man :)

Any questions, feel free to ask.  I love talking about this stuff with someone who is willing to listen.

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 08:20:13 PM »
Actually cheez, can you recommend a good way to burn of the layer of fat around my gut? It's been there pretty much since I lost a crap load of weight a few years back, my core strength is pretty good, and I do crunches, I just can't seem to shift that last kilo or two of fat that's sitting there.  I don't want a six pack as such, I just want a reasonable bit of definition in my abs and I can't do it with a layer of lard covering it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 09:04:41 PM »
The last time I'm going to say this: there is no way to spot reduce fat.  If you've got extra fat in a place, the only way to get it to go away (aside from liposuction) is to lower your overall bodyfat.  Your body decides where it's putting fat, and for guys it's just naturally more in the gut area.  The number one way this is affected is by diet, but if you lift weights and put on muscle, you will burn calories faster (as muscle burns more calories than fat).  You can also do HIIT, which as I said is the most effective non-lifting non-diet way to get rid of fat.

Doing crunches with a layer of fat over your abs will only make your belly stick out more.  It sucks, but it's the way it is :(

edit: Since I've covered that fitness myth several times, the idea that to gain mass you lift huge weights for low reps and to burn fat you lift small weights a billion times isn't really true.  It boggles my mind when I see people at the gym doing like 30 reps of a 20 pounds on some machine, usually while reading a magazine.  This does NOTHING.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 09:13:18 PM by Govtcheez »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 09:21:37 PM »
So did you find all this out through research or a trainer?

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 09:42:32 PM »
>>The last time I'm going to say this: there is no way to spot reduce fat.  If you've got extra fat in a place, the only way to get it to go away (aside from liposuction) is to lower your overall bodyfat.  Your body decides where it's putting fat, and for guys it's just naturally more in the gut area.  The number one way this is affected is by diet, but if you lift weights and put on muscle, you will burn calories faster (as muscle burns more calories than fat).  You can also do HIIT, which as I said is the most effective non-lifting non-diet way to get rid of fat.<<

Gotcha, it just clicked (what you meant by spot reduce).  Well I lost it all by running, I'll just keep hammering the cardio and get the body weight down.  I'm still on the upper of a good BMI, need to get that down.  My diet is actually really good.  I eat a fair amount of low-GI food, I don't drink softdrink, I don't eat chocolate, I don't eat take-away food more than once a month, I hardly touch coffee and when I do it's fresh ground, I have cut right back on my drinking which is usually one or two pints of a friday, the odd one on the weekend.  I also have quit smoking.  I could stand to eat more fruit, that's probably about it.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 09:45:28 PM »
No problem man :)

Any questions, feel free to ask.  I love talking about this stuff with someone who is willing to listen.

Yea i dont know anything about it, so i will definitly listen lol. I also dont feel i eat enough steak. My dads trainer used to sweat by it. Said steak should be a 2night a week meal lol.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 10:11:16 PM »
> So did you find all this out through research or a trainer?

Research, doing it myself, and talking to other people.  If you remember (somehow), my gym membership came with a trainer's visit, but it was pretty worthless.  We didn't do any free weights at all, and I stuck to his routine for about 2 weeks.  I've still got a lot to go, but I've raised all my lifts a TON.  My main problem is my diet, but that's getting better :)

> Well I lost it all by running, I'll just keep hammering the cardio and get the body weight down.

Yeah, lots of people do that.  There's no problem with it, but at some point you need to lift in order to build muscle tone or else you end up skinny-fat (kind of like RoD looks in the pictures)

>  I'm still on the upper of a good BMI

BMI is intended for sedentary individuals.  If you have any muscle at all, you'll be listed as overweight or obese.  Most athletes are listed as obese by that standard because muscle weighs so much more than fat.

>  My diet is actually really good.

Sounds like it :)  One thing you might want to do is keep a food log (www.fitday.com is great for this).  Find your BMR (basal metabolic rate - the amount of calories you burn by doing nothing at all) and try to eat about 3-500 calories below that.  If you try to get a mix of calories of 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fats you'll be doing really well.  Make sure the carbs are whole grains with as little sugar as possible and try to eat "good fats" (monounsaturated).  Remember that dietary fat is not the same as fat on your body; eating something with 40 grams of fat is not going to add 40 grams of fat to your frame.

> I also dont feel i eat enough steak. My dads trainer used to sweat by it. Said steak should be a 2night a week meal lol.

Be careful with it.  If I were in your shoes, I'd probably try to eat about 3000 calories a day, trying to get as much as possible from lean meats (mostly chicken and turkey, but some steak too).  If you eat big and lift big, you will get big.  If you do it cleanly (minimal amounts of junky shit), you'll gain lots of muscle with less fat.  It's pure math.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 10:53:40 PM »
ok time to start tracking the cals hehe. Thanks again. Maybe we should keep this as a running topic, seems i am not the only one here needing help lol.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 11:08:58 PM »
see i figured my calories were probably through the roof, but im only average about 1500-2000 a day. Guess i was lower than i thought. Got some room to bump up

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 12:14:37 AM »
>>If you remember (somehow), my gym membership came with a trainer's visit, but it was pretty worthless.  We didn't do any free weights at all, and I stuck to his routine for about 2 weeks.<<

Kind of like my "routine" at the moment that the trainer setup...it has a really good cardio program, but a pretty shit boring set of pin-weight machine work.  I can lift more on bench than I can on the chest machine anyday.  It's too awkward for me.  The only ones I like are the leg press, the lat pull down and supported row.  Last year I was doing a program out of a weights book that my dad had..can't recall the author but I was starting to bulk up with on 10kg dum's and 25kg barbell doing all manner of curls, flys, squats etc.  I really ought to steal it from him next time I'm over at my folks place.

>>One thing you might want to do is keep a food log (www.fitday.com is great for this).  Find your BMR... <<

I'll look into that thanks.  I've switched to brown rice and wholemeal pasta, and any sugar I add is raw sugar (usually only in my tea).  I try to use honey as a sweetener for cereal rather than sugar as well.  I guess you could count the odd Gatorade as well.

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 01:14:48 AM »
Also found this...it's a good read...http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/a/abmyths.htm

Note to Cheez:

"Repeat after me: SPOT TRAINING DOES NOT WORK. Say it as many times as you need to. Let it sink in. Believe it."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 06:27:59 AM »
Yup!