Author Topic: Samsung Chromebook Series 3  (Read 3278 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Samsung Chromebook Series 3
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »
Just picked one of these up sort of on a whim last night. Got it all charged and I'm going to install Crouton on it to get a dual setup with Xfce Ubuntu. I'm probably going to be getting one of the Haswell 13" MBAs but I have this desire to start doing all of my coding with internet services. This should basically force me to figure out if it will work since I have very little ability to build locally with such limited specs. For now I'm going to test out Codevy and Cloud9IDE but might end up building a solution on the Ace Editor (which is basically Cloud9). I'll be testing mainly with Python I think.

Overall I like the machine so far and for $250 it's worth giving it a try. I'll probably come back and do a little bit more review after I've lived with it for a bit.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Samsung Chromebook Series 3
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:37:21 PM »
Looks sexy as hell.  My only issue would be that my wife uses Dropbox and Office quite a bit and now she's getting into a lot of drawing and stuff with specific apps.  So I'm guessing that won't work for her.  My point is, I think I'll need to replace her laptop at some point and this would be an attractive option but I think she kind of requires a windows OS.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »
It's a shift to thinking about internet apps for sure but most of my life is lived in some sort of web app. Graphics, audio and programming is pretty much the only thing I do locally and I'll be evaluating a few online GIMP options and the programming stuff. Audio is still going to be local but that will be on something else. And since everything is up in some sort of online storage I don't need dropbox or other file sync tool.

Downside, internet goes down and so will I. But that might be a good thing. The most amazing thing is how fast I'm up from scratch. I had to "wipe" the machine to do the chroot thing and it's as fast as getting your Android phone up and running, minutes and I'm back. That's very enticing to me. And not being tied to this specific hardware is attractive as well. Any machine with an internet connection should work for me eventually.

Side note, if the pixel weren't as expensive as it is, I probably would have gotten one of those instead, but this is actually a pretty sexy machine.

I don't own a printer anymore so I won't be able to test some of that kind of stuff.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 03:37:33 AM »
I want to get one...

Hopefully it is only a short period of time before Fusion functions on the Chromebook.  Then you can just run all your Windows applications virtual.

If you have Citrix or VMWare View connectivity, you can leverage the HTML5 client to run Windows applications from within the browser on the Chromebook. It is a relatively complicated storefront setup in Citrix, but View should be pretty easy to configure.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »
I signed up at cloud9 to check it out too, its a little pricer for the non-free version, although it does give you a revision history in the free version (although, I can't get it to work so maybe not?).

ShiftEdit.net (which I used all weekend) lets you toggle between Ace and Code Mirror and its $6/mo paid version gives you unlimited projects and its revision system (but I have no idea what it looks like or how it works)

That said, shiftedit, while apparently fairly popular, is run by one guy in England vs cloud9 which seems to have a lot of backers and is managed by a real company in amsterdam and/or san francisco .
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:20:02 PM »
TGM, I heard about the shit going down in your area.  My boss is flying back home today after a weekend conference to a house that likely won't have power until Friday.  He said his wife told him there were cars floating down the road close by.  Crazy!

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:59:20 PM »
We just got our power back on this evening. :)  But there are still 25k people or so in the area that are still out. I really thought we were going to be some of the last ones. They estimate everything back on by Wed night. It's so nice to have lights and A/C but I would've been happy just to have fans.

Now I get to play with the Chromebook again, which I'm typing on now. I really can't say enough about how much I like this thing. I installed the chroot environment and it's able to run some simple python apps using GAE. This thing would really be killer with just a bit more memory and a slightly higher resolution screen but perhaps 768 is about the right size for the 11.6" screen.

Now off to try and build some test apps with the coding tools.