Author Topic: Lubricate a Power Supply?  (Read 4678 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Lubricate a Power Supply?
« on: December 16, 2005, 12:00:53 PM »
I replaced my power supply last year when it was making a terrible noise.  Its been just over a year, and it started making a terrible noise again, I have to call to determine if it is under warranty (parts/labour), its just a pain taking my computer to the shop.

Is there anyway to lubricate it at all, or is it not worth it.

Assuming, it isnt under warranty, can someone suggest a decent power supply, I dont need anything extravagent.

Something from the following listing, since its probably where I will go and pick one up.

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=PS.808

Thanks

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 12:55:53 PM »
I'm not sure what it is that you're "lubricating".  The only moving part in a power supply would be the fan... and if that's the case and it's not under warranty anymore, just replace the fan.  If you're having problems like power loss or overheating, you may need a bigger power supply.

From that link, I wouldn't suggest buying any of them unless you go to the manufacturer's website and look at all the specs.  None of those list amps anywhere in the detailed information.  You should have at least 22-26A or more on your 12 volt rails to have a decent power supply.

What do I suggest?  The best PSU manufacturer on the market:
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S47ATX
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51ATX

I have had the first one in my system, and I'm currently using the second one.  If you want your computer to last, buy a good one.  And good != expensive in all cases!  That first one should handle any non-SLI system for now and a long time to come, and it's only $100 US.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 01:27:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  When I mentioned lubricating, I did mean the fan.  I dont think there is anything else that would make such a loud humming noise.

Im not having any problems with power loss, or anything like that.  Last time this happened, I took it in, and they replaced the whole power supply!

Even if the power supply is under warranty, Im not sure if labour is, and it might be quicker if I just buy a fan and replace it myself!

Thanks again.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 02:45:41 PM »
Yeah, that's what I would recommend.  The fan was making a bunch of noise in my last one (the 470 in the first link in my other post) so I swapped it with the 510 we have here at work.  No one here is going to care about the squeaking because the power supply will be used in a test cell and even if they do, we have replacement fans.  I was just too lazy to change it out myself.  The only reason I would have is that the 470 is the quiet version (although the 510 isn't much louder).

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 03:34:55 PM »
When the power supply went the last time, I thought it was the CPU fan, but it was the power supply.  Before I go and change fan, is there a way to determine for certain, which fan is making the noise.  Ive tried putting my ear close to both, but its still hard for me to determine which one is making the noise.  Im pretty sure its from the power supply, I just would like to be 100% sure.

Thanks!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 03:42:10 PM »
Use something to stop it... it won't hurt it.  For your CPU fan, you should be able to just reach in there and put pressure on the middle of the fan to slow it down.  (make sure you're grounded).  If your PSU is anything like mine, you probably have a fairly tight grate protecting the fan.  I used a pair of scissors to poke through the grate and bring the PSU fan to a dead halt by just shoving it between the fan blades for a second.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 01:59:31 AM »
Well, after doing both those tests, I determined it was the fan on my graphics card!

Im going to take it out tomorrow, and blow some compressed air on it, to see if that will do anything.  If not, I guess Ill have to get a replacement for it!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 12:02:47 PM »
Been there, done that.  You can get a replacement for about 5-10 bucks normally... just call the manufacturer.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 01:35:04 PM »
Same thing happened on my graphics card (it's an ATI something) They wanted us to send in the card to replace the fan. Since I didn't want to go without it for any amount of time, I just ignored it and the noise stopped after a while :dunno:

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 03:22:14 PM »
Quote from: JaWiB
Same thing happened on my graphics card (it's an ATI something) They wanted us to send in the card to replace the fan. Since I didn't want to go without it for any amount of time, I just ignored it and the noise stopped after a while :dunno:

Wow, Im hoping I can just get them to send me a replacement.  I have my old 32mb video card.. but that is just a hassle.

If I knew the fan was fine, and wouldnt just stop running out of the blue, Id get used to the noise, I just dont want to ruin my graphics card.

Im going to call them later though.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 03:45:53 PM »
I wouldn't trust that possibility.  If they ask you to send the card in, just look for a fan of the same size online... they sell them other places, probably for cheaper.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 04:00:50 PM »
Called up ATI today, and I have to send it in, and since its around Christmas/New Years, it would probably take longer than normal..

I was looking online for some fans, in particular products sold at two stores close by, as it would provide the quickest replacement.

This is a list of all the possible cooling products.

http://www.liata.com/scrMain2.asp?product_types_id=8

I was looking into some of the Zalman fans, its around 30 bucks and requires a bit of work to install it.

What are your recommendations?  Should I just try and find and replace the 45mm fan, if possible, or go with an upgrade?

Thanks!