Author Topic: The Age of Reason  (Read 5263 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
The Age of Reason
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:38:41 PM »
Started reading this a few days ago.  Tough book to get through and shows how much english has changed 200+ years

One of my favorite quotes so far:
Quote from: Thomas Paine
You will do me the justice to remember, that I have always strenuously supported the Right of every Man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies to another this right, makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it.

I've enjoyed his thoughts on revelation along with why any human written text can not be the "Word of God".  Can see why it pissed off a lot of people though.

About 14% done according to the Kindle.

Anyone else read it?

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Re: The Age of Reason
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:31:18 AM »
Several times. One of my all time favorites.  :)
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »
Did you find yourself having to look up a lot of words?  I've had to do it more times with this book than any other.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
Hehehe... I don't remember.  It has been years since I read it.  I have a pretty decent bit of Ol' English vocabulary spinning around in my head.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein