Author Topic: XDrive Etc  (Read 3076 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
XDrive Etc
« on: March 15, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »
Which online services do you guys use?

I'm likely going to be creating software for my father's business to allow my aunt to do customer calling for him. So I've told him he need to relinquish his current P3 700 PC (which was hand me down from me) to turn into his web server for the software I will be creating. I'll slap Linux on it and it should be more than sufficient for his meager needs. The trick is I told him he needs a new computer. Now he's whinny because he'll have to transfer all of his files over to the new computer. I told him he should get an external drive this time to make PC moves easier, he only has about 2GB worth of data (not the hundreds like we around here have). So in addition to and a new PC and an external drive I told him he should sign up for something like XDrive to do backups to. Then he'd have his local copy on the PC, a portable copy on the extHD and a network available backup copy. It's going to take a bit of training for him to understand why this is a good idea but I think he's getting it.

The question is which online storage service should we go with?

XDrive is well know and way back when I'd used it (when it was a huge 100mb or something).
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: XDrive Etc
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 01:08:19 PM »
I don't use an online service.... I personally don't trust the bastards with my sensative data... if you have a decent extHD, what's the point?  There's almost zero chance you'll have both fail at the same time.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 04:42:07 PM »

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 04:54:57 PM »
Holy crap! 16GB.

While that would work my father is very fruggle so I was thinking more along the lines of this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136020

And Ober, I think you're right perhaps the XDrive may be an excessive layer. Plus I was thinking of setting him up with foldershare or something and then backing his data up on my storage system.

Or perhaps a 4G thumb drive, but for the money I think he'd be better off getting an extHD.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 05:42:58 PM »
I have a large external HDD, but I also like the USB due to the durability and above all NO moving parts.  Plug it in transfer the important stuff and pop it in the desk drawer. 

Fact.  Externals usually fry on the same power spike that fries your PC HDD!  Doh!

I gotta admit that for most people the 4 or 8GB versions may well be enough.

I am amazed at 16GB for a buck thirty nine.  Whoa!

Your dad could easily store a picture of Obe wearing his new shirt on any of the previously mentioned backup solutions!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 08:55:43 AM »
Fact.  Externals usually fry on the same power spike that fries your PC HDD!  Doh!
That's why I only connect mine when I need it.