Author Topic: Work order managment systems  (Read 3868 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Work order managment systems
« on: June 04, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »
The project I'm working on is requiring me to have a better understanding of work order management systems. The problem is I'm having a tough time finding any opensource ones. I'm having trouble finding many in general. I think it's because they aren't called work order management systems but trying to look through some of the CRM/ERP solutions overwhelming. I'm trying to find out what other data models look like and what fields, abilities they have.

Anyone have work order management systems knowledge they'd like to share? Access to a data model?
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Work order managment systems
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 04:29:49 PM »
Sorry, we don't do work order management here.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:37:44 PM »
we use tigerpaw - I don't know about their data model, but maybe their website will help you: http://www.tigerpawsoftware.com/

they also hold free webinars and info (aka sales) sessions where you can ask questions...
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 04:51:49 PM »
Is "work order management" synonymous with business process management or BPM?  If you're looking for a generic way to route tasks through an enterprise, I'm aware of two open source projects that provide this functionality.

ProcessMaker http://www.processmaker.com/
PHP5 and MySQL.  I don't have any experience with this package.  I'm wanting to explore it though.

jbpm http://www.jboss.com/products/jbpm
Jboss product.  I have used this as a bolt on for an existing Risk Engineering Product for Insurance companies.  It's good for managing workflow using data or services exposed from existing legacy systems.  Can use it in almost any existing java code base with the usual headaches...

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Workflow is a whole other issue I'll need to worry about later I'm sure. Right now it's just trying to figure out a data model for work orders/technicians/customers/locations etc.

The trick is we're trying to provide a service that scales/integrates with other solutions. So if you want to give us all the information and manage it from our system (i.e. you're a small company) we support that. If you're a big company that should be able to provide feeds but doesn't want to commit to anything (because you're slow and it's "hard") give us as much as you can and you'll gain access to whatever services we can provide with the information you've made available. e.g. give us customer info and we can call them with an ETA; don't want to provide that, you don't get that feature.
The tough part is building the system so people that don't want to provide all the info and fully utilize the system still can use it for something and don't have to sift through 90% empty fields that aren't relevant to them.

My current thought is the turning the overall system into sort of an enterprise mash-up application. We provide basic services for field service but use API's to (internally as well) to allow for a highly customizable system that utilizes all sorts of modules. Something like Google Gadgets but using enterprise gadgets.

Needless to say, my head hurts at night.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 06:46:50 PM »
axon,

I'm liking this tigerpaw for feature borrowing/reverse analysis. Do you use it on a daily basis or is it just something other people use in the company? Is it spendy? And if you do use it, does it actually work right or is it just a pain?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 06:29:24 PM »
I use it extensively on a daily basis. We don't have the most current version, and the older one has some things that are desirable (like remote access with proper permissions). It is quite expensive, I think the upgrade (if we ever go with it) is around $3K.

If you have any questions let me know.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:53:40 AM »
tgm, someone just sent me this link: http://www.vtiger.com/ - all I know is that it is a CRM software, I have not even downloaded it yet so have no feedback - check it out.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 11:30:56 AM »
Good find. I'm surprised it didn't come up in my CRM searches. Looks pretty refined. Also looks quite a bit like the tigerpaw software from what I've been looking at. Perhaps someone is cloning it?

I'll definitely be playing with it.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 09:03:33 AM »
tgm, ever get a chance to work with vtiger? how is it?