Author Topic: Anyone else get this?  (Read 5408 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Anyone else get this?
« on: July 12, 2010, 02:52:33 PM »
Not sure how they got the email address but I got this today.

We would like to make you aware of important news regarding certain versions of Windows that could affect your computers and servers. On July 13, Microsoft support—including the release of new security updates—will end for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Professional. It is also important to note that support for Windows Vista Release to Manufacturing (or RTM, as it is commonly referred to, which indicates the original version without any service packs installed) ended on April 13.

KEY DATES

Product    End of Support (EOS) Date
Windows Vista RTM    April 13, 2010
Windows XP SP2
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 2000 Server    July 13, 2010

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR YOU?

•   Microsoft will stop providing incident support and will not release new updates, including security updates.

•   Running an unsupported version of Windows could be harder to manage, expensive to maintain, and could expose your business and your customers to business and regulatory risks.

•   Running an unsupported version of Windows could represent a security threat—Microsoft will no longer release new security updates for vulnerabilities discovered after EOS.

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?

1) Upgrade to the latest version of the operating system

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 provide you with platforms designed to address the current business and security environment.

2) Install the most current service pack

If you have computers that are not ready to move to Windows 7, then apply the most current service pack to continue to receive updates and support.

•   For Windows Vista support and updates, apply Service Pack 2.

•   For Windows XP support and updates, apply Service Pack 3 (SP3).

•   If you have Premier Support, these benefits can be used toward Windows XP SP3 migration and patch management.

•   There are no service pack upgrade options for Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2000 Professional.

3) Acquire a Custom Support Agreement

If you have a Premier Agreement and cannot upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, or apply the respective service pack before the EOS dates, you can purchase a Custom Support Agreement. A Custom Support Agreement allows you to focus available resources on migration efforts while simultaneously receiving continued support for eligible, legacy Windows operating systems.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Anyone else get this?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »
So I just gotta move to XP SP3.  No biggy

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »
XP got a new lease of life when lots of notebook manufacturers decided to use it instead of the bloated Vista.

MS would be pretty daft not to release a new service pack for an OS that people are still buying.

And lets be fair, XP was one of the best products that MS ever released

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:03:22 PM »
I still use xp at home with no intention of upgrading until some day long in the future when my PC dies and I have to buy a new one.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »
I don't get people that are still stuck on XP.  I'd take Vista over XP and Windows 7 is a far leap above that.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »
I don't get people that are still stuck on XP.  I'd take Vista over XP and Windows 7 is a far leap above that.

100% agree.  XP.  Really?  Sheesh.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »

What does it have that I need that justifies the additional cost (money and resources)?  XP meets my needs.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »
Need?  I don't know.  Since when have computer nerds been concerned with needs when it comes to upgrading??

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:55:27 AM »
I'm running XP on my desktop...just haven't had a need to buy another copy of 7....

In other news -

Microsoft extended IT downgrade support for XP until 2020...

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179109/Microsoft_extends_Windows_XP_downgrade_rights_until_2020
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:18:36 AM »
Need?  I don't know.  Since when have computer nerds been concerned with needs when it comes to upgrading??
I'm a geek.  I look at my computer, OS, and other software as tools.  From what I can tell "upgrading" to Vista or 7 wouldn't improve anything for me.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 10:29:28 AM »
I think you'll find there are efficiencies to be gained.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
I'm on XP on every PC I use (home machine, work laptop, work machines). My coworkers workstation just died and he got a nifty 64 bit windows 7 rig, but why would I or my IT department spend money on an OS upgrade when the current one works fine?

Efficiencies like what?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 01:10:27 PM »
I don't know... I think things like the navigation in the windows explorer address bar is a huge step alone.  It also adds little apps like the Snipping tool for quick screenshots.  And don't forget presentation modes if you give presentations.  And I think the handling of devices and monitors has advanced quite a bit since XP.  There is also the "window peek" stuff that is useful at times.

I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of, but XP just feels so clunky and outdated.  I actually cringe when I sit down in front of an XP machine now.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »
Ditto.  I hate going back to XP or Vista. 

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 01:51:41 PM »
Admittedly, it's a heck of a lot harder to find things I want to find on machines still running XP than it is on Windows 7.  I just feel like everything is smarter with Win 7.