Author Topic: The wall (from Plan your charity)  (Read 4997 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: The wall (from Plan your charity)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 01:21:36 AM »
also, the "wall" is a stupid fucking idea. I'm not for big government but I would take the money and spend it on more border agents and equip them with better technology.

Spend more money on securing ports of entry - statistics say that majority of the drugs and other illegal peripheral flows through the ports of entry rather than across the desert.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 08:31:47 AM »
My issues with the wall:

1. It is going to be expensive to build (the $5 billion is only the beginning) and maintain (which I haven't seen anyone really talking about)
2. It doesn't actually address the real sources of illegal immigration and drug smuggling. 
3. Trump's motivations are based in racism and tribalism and not in national security.  It works because the most vocal of his supporters are racists and tribalists.
4. Trump can't fucking settle on what he is actually proposing

#3 is a big enough reason - imo - to oppose the wall.  Why we do things matters.

Going back to the house analogy:  If you are welcoming people into your house and they overstay their welcome - and you aren't keeping track of them - is building a fence addressing the problem?  Sure, maybe you do need a fence but maybe first you should focus on how to keep people from overstaying.
This.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 12:02:07 PM »
also, the "wall" is a stupid fucking idea. I'm not for big government but I would take the money and spend it on more border agents and equip them with better technology.

Spend more money on securing ports of entry - statistics say that majority of the drugs and other illegal peripheral flows through the ports of entry rather than across the desert.

I think this is a common thing in politics, focusing on a specific like a "wall" and not the actual problem, border security. I think less people have a problem spending on border security in general than a stupid wall. And it seems to often be a proving point, Trump said a wall, so a wall is what republicans push, even though many of them probably think the wall is a stupid idea, and neither side really wants to negotiate since that makes them appear weak. Grandstanding at its finest.
This signature intentionally left blank.