Author Topic: ober hates chicken wings  (Read 40040 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Re: Eating at home sucks
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2013, 07:33:22 AM »
Totally with you Micah - I've been working hard at eating more at home - especially since all that cheap fast NYC Chinese bike powered delivery isn't at hand. 

I've been doing lots go grilled chicken - I get the thin cut breasts cause they're easy to cook.  Sauce pan, tiny bit of olive oil, salt, pepper (sometime garlic or lemon pepper), high heat, cover...wait till it turns white, flip, repeat.

Pretty simple and easy...though I wish I had someone else to clean the pans :).

I find it helps A LOT when I can relax and be less stressed when I go to the grocery.  Helps me make sure I don't put the wrong things in the cart and that I'm excited to try stuff when I get home.  Don't know if that helps at all but.....would love any tips you come up with.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
There is nobody here anymore... I don't know why Jeremy doesn't come around from time to time.

On topic: Mmmm chicken.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
Ummm...   :lol:

http://www.traderjoesfan.com/Trader_Joes/mandarin_orange_chicken/details/

I don't recall the cost off hand.  $5 or so, I think

Fuck I love that stuff. I have to make sure not to cook it too often. We always bake it. The BBQ chicken one is nice because you can microwave it, but it's not as addictive.

Micah, these aren't frozen dinners like you'd think of TV dinners. But they're frozen and easy to make which is perfect for me, and less unhealthy than other frozen choices. Also expensive but much cheaper than eating out. We have to make two bags now if we want everybody to eat a full serving. One bag serves two adults.

I found myself at a trader joe's today and made a point of picking up the Mandarin Orange Chicken for $4.99.  Probably going to make it tonight or Monday.  Any thoughts on sides? Like just over rice? how do you guys normally eat it?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »
just over rice

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »
Yeah... usually rice or whatever quick thing I can make. The family likes the cous cous that is microwaveable in a few minutes (it's not my favorite but is edible). Or we use instant mashed potatoes or even boxed pasta (pasta roni or something like it). When I'm cooking I don't spend much time making sure things go well together.

Then we either chop up and steam fresh veggies or more likely microwave veggies in a bag (frozen or fresh).

I think it's funny that it took two years and yet you still remembered to do this. :D

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2014, 09:38:49 PM »
instant mashed potatoes

really?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2014, 11:52:21 PM »
You do realize there's a theme going on here, right? Quick, easy foods to "cook" at home that are cheaper and less bad than typical fast food.

Instant mashed potatoes fit the bill.

Also, they're not bad. Plus I grew up eating them so they're not weird either. My wife is even ok with them after initially having the same reaction, although she prefers the ones with a little extra flavor (usually the garlic ones).

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2014, 12:05:47 AM »
By the way, how come we haven't talked more about the turbo?

http://www.amazon.com/Oyama-Turbo-Convection-Roaster-Oven/dp/B003XJE60U

If you want easy-to-cook food that tastes good, ask for one of these for Christmas.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2014, 12:29:04 AM »
Smashed potatoes are so much better than mashed potatoes though.  But they do take more time than instant.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
You do realize there's a theme going on here, right? Quick, easy foods to "cook" at home that are cheaper and less bad than typical fast food.

Instant mashed potatoes fit the bill.

Also, they're not bad. Plus I grew up eating them so they're not weird either. My wife is even ok with them after initially having the same reaction, although she prefers the ones with a little extra flavor (usually the garlic ones).

I don't know if I ever had them - at least we've never made them.

I would never consider them; "smashed potatoes" as mike called them are really quick to make to. The trick to boiling them quick is to get a lot of surface area in contact with the water.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »
I don't know what that means. Cut them in slices? Use a really big pot?

Also, really quick to make relative to what? Because I can guarantee they're not really quick to make relative to instant mashed potatoes.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »
Boil the potatoes and use a masher to break them up into chunks.  I like to add some garlic and butter.  If making it for a fancier meal I'll add some cream to it.

Totally not as fast as instant.  I usually use red potatoes so it doesn't take that long

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2014, 08:21:30 PM »
Boil the potatoes and use a masher to break them up into chunks.  I like to add some garlic and butter.  If making it for a fancier meal I'll add some cream to it.

Totally not as fast as instant.  I usually use red potatoes so it doesn't take that long
+1, but we also throw in some Parmesan cheese.  MMM good!

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2014, 10:32:52 PM »
Yeah, that's how we make ours, too. Red potatoes, garlic, butter, cream.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2014, 11:26:27 PM »
By the way, how come we haven't talked more about the turbo?

http://www.amazon.com/Oyama-Turbo-Convection-Roaster-Oven/dp/B003XJE60U

If you want easy-to-cook food that tastes good, ask for one of these for Christmas.
Because real people use crockpots.