Author Topic: teach me .NET  (Read 5029 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
teach me .NET
« on: November 29, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »
so despite the fact that the internet run on LAMP and most major sites, including facebook, are PHP based, it would seem that every major insurance company in Connecticut wants .NET developers.  How hard could it be?  It looks like C# is the closest acceptable .NET language to PHP so that should be a relatively painless transition.  After that it seems its just a matter of learning the framework and maybe learning a new IDE like visual studio.

any recommendations on where to start?   Also, do you think a strong web app background rooted in PHP but only self-taught experience in .NET would still qualify me for the mid to senior level positions I'm looking for? 
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: teach me .NET
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Fuck .NET.  That is all.

You want to program in Microsoft's box?  Be my guest.  As a PHP dev, you're going to be frustrated, I can guarantee you that.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 01:07:41 AM »
so to bump this thread from 5 years ago...

I'm on a project at work that requires me to work in .NET
The stuff I get is making sense - visual studio does some cool stuff and the separation of code and the fact that everything has to build first helps catch errors.  I get why its a powerful platform.  That said, holy shit this sucks!  I'm like a n00b script kiddie who can't figure out a damn thing.  I literally lost this entire week just trying to pass a variable from one backend process to another so I could dynamically change a css class.  the code isn't the problem, its the million and one environment gotchas that are killing me.  Files have to be in specific places, you have to set specific build actions on certain files... today I just realized that the site was mistakenly set up as a "web project" instead of an "application project"  What a pain in the ass this is. 

I recognize someone moving into the LAMP world would have similar issues configuring apache properties or whatever but still, this is so sucky.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 12:37:15 PM »
Preach it brother!  I've stayed away from .NET for similar reasons despite the huge amount of jobs in it.