Author Topic: Christmas Toy Review  (Read 5099 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Christmas Toy Review
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:11:55 PM »
If you got cool shit, post a review.

1) Samsung EVO 850 SSD for my desktop.  I've had SSDs in my laptops for work but never in my home computer.  I do like it quite a lot.  On my old hard drive, I'd probably still be sitting here waiting for it to finish coming out of sleep.  My wife has the same drive and it's been going strong for 2 years.  And yes, she has better hardware in some respects than I do.

2) Kamtron wireless security cam.  Amazon link  I almost sent it back after opening it because it acts like you can connect it the first time over the wireless.  But then I tried to do the setup with it wired and it worked fine.  I've since used it quite a bit.  I've unplugged and plugged it back in around the house and it syncs back up about a minute after plugging back in each time.  I'm completely happy with the video quality and the app for the phone is damn good.  It holds an SD card that can do photo/video motion recording.  My only gripe so far is that half the time when it takes pics it doesn't save them properly so you can't view them.  I switched over to just video and that works every time.  Maybe it is my SD card or something weird.  The IR is also really good.  I put the app on my phone and my wife's phone and it has worked out well.  I currently have it sitting in the window at our front porch so it records anytime we get a package or anything else at the front door.  I'm considering using that camera elsewhere in the house and getting a few of these to go with it since they use the same app.

I didn't get anything else techy unless you count the lego Technic kits which were fun.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Christmas Toy Review
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:20:53 AM »
Amazon Echo Dot
Pretty cool except that it thinks we like country music now and it makes me want to work for Amazon so I can fix their buggy app and people are worried that it's listening all the time and hearing me talk about taking over the world.

Subway Gift Card
Haven't used these yet but I'm guessing they'll be pretty cool.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »
I received a scarf.  For the life of me I can't figure out where the batteries go. 

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:08:40 AM »
Also.  Ben.  SSD is nice!  It is, to me, the single best PC upgrade their is.

I am due for a new GPU soon and would love to bump from my current deck of cards SSD to a m.2 version.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:26:53 AM »
Amazon Echo Dot
Pretty cool except that it thinks we like country music now and it makes me want to work for Amazon so I can fix their buggy app and people are worried that it's listening all the time and hearing me talk about taking over the world.

Subway Gift Card
Haven't used these yet but I'm guessing they'll be pretty cool.
I don't get the Echo/Alexa appeal.  What do you use it for?  Micah has them as well and I just don't know what I'd use it for.

Subway... I haven't eaten there in forever.  Dammit, now I'm hungry.

I received a scarf.  For the life of me I can't figure out where the batteries go. 
You put them in the dangly end.

I am due for a new GPU soon and would love to bump from my current deck of cards SSD to a m.2 version.
Eh, might depend on perspective.  If I had a shitty video card, I'd take that upgrade over an SSD and technically that's what I chose when I rebuilt my PC last time.

What new GPU are you looking at? 

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 09:32:37 AM »

I would agree with this. Nothing in the recent years has impacted my computer experience as mush as getting an SSD
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:34:29 AM »
I got a fishing tackle back pack with a light in it! that takes batteries. And it has a nice green light too!!

this is not a christmas gift, but I got a free projector from motorola for my moto z2 force edition - and it is a game changer!!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »
we use our echo and google home like you would use google on any other devie.  Last night I was making dinner so I just said, "hey google, set a timer for 14 minutes."  I'm constantly doing little things like checking the weather (or even the time if there's not a clock nearby) and in the morning I listen to the news while getting ready.

By and large, we mostly use them as voice UI for things we could already do on a phone or computer.  My kids control youtube on the TV via google home and I have my echo dot plugged into my studio speakers at my desk and use it to control spotify.  "Alexa, play my late night programming playlist on spotify."

Also, you find yourself doing things that seem corny in commercials but are kinda nice... when my kid asks, "how many people are there in the world." I just say, "well lets ask alexa."  In the olden days I would have had to make up something like the dad from Calvin and Hobbes.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 02:47:59 PM »
Thanks Micah.  That's helpful.  I probably still won't get one #TheGovmentBeListenin (I'm only mostly joking about that) but it's good to know how other people use them.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 06:07:41 PM »

I would agree with this. Nothing in the recent years has impacted my computer experience as mush as getting an SSD
+2

As for Alexa, we do what Micah does but we're not quite that advanced. I forget sometimes to use it when it would be helpful but I'm learning. Mostly right now it's my 8-year-old asking Alexa to play specific songs over and over.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 07:10:50 PM »
I'm too paranoid to get anything like that. Plus I really dont have the need.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 06:00:20 AM »
New GPU...whatever the Nvidia Volta card is coming up here in 2018.  Typically I get the 7x version.  I have a 970 now that is from 2014 and could stand to move forward.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 09:16:59 AM »
Oh shit... I have a newer card than you?  That might be a first.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 05:58:15 AM »
I used to build, wait a year, replace the GPU year 2, and rebuild year 3.  Now not so much.  The build lifetime is closer to 5 years maybe six.  GPU four or so.  Part of doing a solid build in the first place and the market in general.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 08:51:08 AM »
Yeah, the need to rebuild frequently has dropped.  I don't think Moore's law applies anymore.