Author Topic: Teaching kids to program  (Read 367 times)

ethic

• Gay Pride
  • Jackass VII
    • Orphan Fish
I watch you...
:rad: :rad:

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Teaching kids to program
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:18:55 AM »
Everyone is on that bandwagon. My kids have had some form of 'programming' in some form or another for a few years.  It's mostly about learning logical operators and how loops work, but it's definitely programming concepts.  It's just another skillset.

micah

• A man on the Internet.
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Good man. Nixon's pro-war and pro-family.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »
yeah, last year in 1st grade, my daughter was telling me that in their computer class they play games where the all stand on a tile and one person is the "commander" who says like "move forward one space" or "turn left" -- basic logic stuff.  Also, in second grade they're learning how to type.  I didn't learn typing until like 8th grade.

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Ass Wipe
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:00 PM »
yeah, last year in 1st grade, my daughter was telling me that in their computer class they play games where the all stand on a tile and one person is the "commander" who says like "move forward one space" or "turn left" -- basic logic stuff.  Also, in second grade they're learning how to type.  I didn't learn typing until like 8th grade.
Wow.  I was a good typist by 4th grade.  I learned on our old 8088 typing tutor.  When we got the 486 I got Mario Teaches Typing but I was already too advance for that.

Mike

• Ass Wipe
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 06:28:47 PM »
Thinking back, I guess a lot of students weren't good typist when I took a typing class freshman year.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »
I went to a Chicago public school and they were teaching us typing in "library class" in 7th and 8th grade - we were learning about the Dewey decimal system, learning how to type without looking at the keyboard, and we also played Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego - remember that? this was '96 and '97
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A man on the Internet.
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Good man. Nixon's pro-war and pro-family.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »
I picked up typing pretty fast in school when we were learning it, I also did a lot of aol chat rooms around that time which is good practice.  I generally score between 85 and 100wpm on online typing tests (although, reality is slower when I'm not trying and typing that fast makes me a bit more prone to error.)  Also, my first legit office job involved a TON of typing and 10-key.  To this day, I can't stand using a keyboard without a number pad.

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:55:59 AM »
@jake - I don't know why but I always think of you as being older than me or at least my age.  I was in 11th grade when you were in 8th.  I realize that's not a huge gap but it just struck me this morning.

I took typing in 10th grade but I was already decent at it.  I do think it was good to have some kind of formal training because a lot of people that I know that didn't have it formally type slower or type awkwardly.

@micah, at my internship, they often threw stacks of electrical pole inspections at me and had me key them into a database.  I lived on the number pad for at least one summer.