Author Topic: Directory structure change..  (Read 1629 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Directory structure change..
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:24:27 AM »
So right now i have www.domain.com and that goes directly to the SMF forum, which is installed in the / of the webhost. I now have an index page i wish to be the main page when you type in www.domain.com, and then people can choose to go to the forum if they wish.

So i was going to use the repair settings tool and move the forum from the / to /forum......except it occurred to me that this will break all current advertised links (like domain.com/news/so-and-so-is-gay/) which is a major problem since the traffic on this site is doing very well.

So how can i circumvent moving the forum into a new directory? I considered something like welcome.php and dumping it into the root, then forwarding the domain to that file, but wouldn't that also break the links?

I cant seem to sort it out in my brain
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Dumah

• Jackass IV
Re: Directory structure change..
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:16:08 AM »
Normally, you would enter a link in a <a> tag using 'href=/news/so-and-so-is-gay/' and if you have done so then why not create a subdomain (forums.domain.com) to point to the forums in another directory?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Directory structure change..
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean. All of the places that are linked pack to the forum is where we just copied the url from the browsers address bar and dropped it where we wanted it. For example there is a news story that has been posted on ~32 different craigslists. I don't want to break those links.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?