Author Topic: T-Shirt design system  (Read 3258 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
T-Shirt design system
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:47:36 PM »
A few weeks ago i was asked for a quote to build a tee shirt designer for a website. I quoted them $800, and planned to do it in flash. They contacted me today and asked if i could do a low budget setup for them until they can afford a full system.

I'm posting for feedback, because im not sure how "low budget" i can go on something like this. You have all seen them, tee shirt companies use them to let people have their own sayings, images, etc and see how it would look. I think $800 was a damn good price, i saw online quotes and most didnt go under $1000. I was thinking a VERY basic html type but they want flash.

Anyone know of an open source i can use as a starting point? I'm trying to make it as easy on myself as possible to keep their cost down as much as i can.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: T-Shirt design system
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »
Fuck em... I'm sick of client that want shit "on the cheap".

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:48:08 PM »
I would agree but they kind of approached it the right way. Instead of the typical "thats too much do it for less" bs it was more like "Thats a great price for the work, but is there anyway we can do something that will meet our needs at keep our cost down?" which i respect.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:23:05 PM »
I don't know what type of features you are planning on but what about making a very basic version and then later adding on some of the advance features?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 12:16:01 AM »
Or tell them just to suck it up and do it the right way.

Because you know exactly what's going to happen, they'll want you to do it a "cheap" way but then start adding in stuff later, making life more difficult.

I'm sure you'll be able to explain to them the benefits of doing it the original way and why cheaping out isn't a good idea in the long run.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 12:34:29 AM »
I tried man, believe me i tried. I did explain to them that upgrades along the way are going to raise the price based on both the nature of the change and the amount of work it requires.

Mike:

Basically they are looking at having a generic picture of a tee. They then want the user to be able to preview the shirt based on color, slogan/text, and image (uploadable from user computer). The reason i was hoping for open source was to avoid having to build the dynamic changing system on my own....

When i say budget, they are looking to bring in this "basic" tool in the neighborhood of $300. I would consider not taking it on, but the company could use that $300 for alot of things.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 06:13:55 AM »
"Thats a great price for the work, but is there anyway we can do something that will meet our needs at keep our cost down?"

is just

"thats too much do it for less"

worded differently. :dunno:

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:28:42 AM »
Fuck em... I'm sick of client that want shit "on the cheap".

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 10:12:32 AM »
So what your decision really is, is do you take the job just for the money even though your margins are going to be less or do you pass on the job.

I'd say if you don't absolutely need the money, pass on the job, or just tell them you're sorry that you can't go lower and produce the product they are expecting. Otherwise you'll be setting the precedent with them for future work that they can set the price, not you.

I say let them try to find someone else to do it for less.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 10:13:21 AM »
Maybe you guys are right. I could use the money for needs of the business but perhaps its best made by a volume of easier jobs as opposed to doing a labor intensive one at discount.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 10:16:03 AM »
Discounts are always off margin, never off costs.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
You're right.

I told them that i cannot deliver the results they require for less then the quoted price.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »
And they'll probably look for some other sucker and end up coming back to you and need it done by yesterday.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 01:59:39 PM »
Rush delivery extra lol. And yea your right. According to their request they found us on CL so im betting i see a "please god help me" ad shortly.