Author Topic: Gardens  (Read 7740 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Gardens
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »
We planted lettuce, sweet potatoes, jalapenos, bell peppers, tomatoes, and a few different herbs a couple weekends ago.  The lettuce just started coming in this weekend :)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
We planted lettuce, sweet potatoes, jalapenos, bell peppers, tomatoes, and a few different herbs a couple weekends ago.  The lettuce just started coming in this weekend :)
What type of lettuce?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 01:43:54 PM »
I've got no idea.  A friend brought over the seeds and I didn't look to closely at it.  It's green.  Could be romaine.  Could be weed?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »
move you to drafts is what I should do.

With that thread in drafts you can have all your nintendoy talk and not have me make fun of you! win-win homey

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
I wanted to plant lettuce, but it got voted out in favor of other things.

My friggen squash plants look like jungle trees, they are taking over lol. Watermelon, tomato, peppers, squash, and strawberry have started coming in. Onion should be ready soon, and the pumpkin plants have grown quite a bit this past week.

We are getting good rain today so when the sun hits tomorrow they will take off like they always do.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »
I've got no idea.  A friend brought over the seeds and I didn't look to closely at it.  It's green.  Could be romaine.  Could be weed?
As long as it isn't iceburg.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
i live in an apartment.  :(

Me too, but we have a small planter on the balcony with oregano, spearmint (mojitos!), and parsley.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 01:07:59 AM »
a few pictures we took this evening.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 01:37:19 AM »
Looking good!! I will take some tomorrow. Ours looks like shit honestly because my fence got tore up by the wind, but the plants are doing perfect. Wait until you see how big my squash / zucchini plants are. It's insane.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
our tomatoes are even bigger than last year. The plants AND the fruit. There are two plants that are over 7 feet high. we eat and give out tomatoes to friends and neighbors daily. holy cow what an awesome crop. green beans on the other hand did not do so hot; had a good early crop a few times and then the sun got them :/

Also really big blackberries - and a ton of 'em. They are not very sweet, but that is ok. I add some sour cream and sugar and the kids eat them up. My wife also made some jam. And we still have a shit load.

Red currant sucked this year. So did black currant. We moved the gooseberry last fall, so we had like 3 gooseberries this year :(

Something attacked our grape plant and destroyed 50-60% of the leafs. The fruit had no cover and the birds got 'em.

So all-in-all pretty good year.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »
some pics from a couple of weeks ago

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »
You have me beat. My squash and zucchini took over and ever thing else struggles after the first few weeks. Pumpkins have not started yet, watermelons are slow. Everything else is struggling to stay alive.

It started off really well

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 11:35:28 PM »
we had a really crappy gardening year. The worst since we started doing it. Tomatoes were weak and didn't taste real good. Had a bunch of squash and zucchini plants, but those yielded maybe 5 total fruit. Pickles completely dried out. Not too much green beans. a few sweet peas. Fruit bushes didn't do much better. The only thing that did well was the grape vine. There were a ton of grapes...until we had two nights of close to freezing temps and what we didn't pick went to shit.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 06:07:12 AM »
Find a source of organic material and leave a layer on and work it on the entire garden.  Also move the positions of various species around drastically.   Odds are you are already doing this....but...just in case.