Author Topic: new toy  (Read 2189 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
new toy
« on: December 29, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »
One of my friends has graciously given us his old sled - a 1989 Yamaha Exciter. It is in pretty decent shape. Needs a new battery, but starts right up with the pull start. Starts right up with a jump too with the electric start. The gears don't engage that good - I suspect it needs a new clutch. I'm planning on restoring it a bit next year - from what I read this is an excellent sled and easy to work on. I have never ridden a snowmobile so I am very excited!

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: new toy
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:17:30 PM »
Keep a pack of spare plugs (properly gapped) in the tool case.  Also the spark plug wrench.

Treat the fuel

Look the belts over for cracking and chipping.

Check the bottoms of the skis for wear.

I think that is a liquid cooled model, so make sure the coolant is fresh, the correct type, and up to the worst case local temps.

If you are going to deal with altitude changes adjustments to the jets/carb. may be necessary.

Set up an obstacle course so the kids can learn how to handle the thing.  Careful they can be scary dangerous.

Have fun!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 11:50:31 PM »
thanks for the tips knuck. I never owner anything with a CVT - so my initial idea about a bad clutch was probably wrong...

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »
I've ridden a few and I agree, they can be dangerous.  Lots of fun though.  :)  Good luck with the restoration.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 09:52:25 AM »
Never tried it, I'm pretty sure I'd die.  It looks like tons of fun for other people but I got nervous using a riding lawn mower for the first time this summer so, no thanks.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Wemboe

• Jackass I
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
I had one when I was 7 or 8 or something, they're really fun, I used to ride it around the yard with one or two friends hanging onto a sled that was roped to the back of it.
I also had a four wheeler around that time too and rode that around the yard but my Mom got rid of it when I rode it into one of those four foot tall cable boxes and got thrown over the handlebars. I was okay, my Mom was not however...

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 11:24:08 PM »
so now I got to. Got an opportunity to get the same exact model for $200 and did.

I don't feel very comfortable on a snowmobile yet, but they are super fast - what a rush! I need to change a belt on one of them and runners on the other. Other than that, so far so good. Both took a beating when I had a guy only weekend this past week :p