Author Topic: New Car?  (Read 13393 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
New Car?
« on: June 16, 2015, 10:23:14 AM »
So I'm considering a new car and I don't even know where to start...so I came to you guys!

My current car is a 2007 Honda Civic.  It was driveway bound for most of graduate school, so it only has 59,000 miles on it.  I love it; it's a great car.   However, it's 2 wheel drive, and I think I'm going to want AWD in Michigan.  I'm also thinking that I may want something with a bit more cargo room if I'm planning on doing outdoors stuff (skiing and eventually kayaking etc). 

I will probably end up buying something new.  First priorities are winter driving, mileage, and reliability. Second is probably space and other features.  If I can wait for the 2016's, I probably will because I am very interested in Apple CarPlay support - integration would be amazing, and it sounds like it will be widely adopted for the 2016 models (along with Android's version).

All that said - I don't even know where to start.  I've always been a compact guy, but I'm thinking a compact or midsize SUV might be the way to go?  I'm not sure about make's - I've always had Honda's, but would something like a Subaru be better? 

This is really early in my process, but I guess I'm just looking for tips or suggestions to get me started....Anyone have thoughts?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: New Car?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »
Hey... we're buying a new car, too. But our needs are a bit different. So many choices out there and we're somewhat flexible in price range so it's been hard to narrow down. I think we're coming to a conclusion, though, even if I don't love it.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »
So I'm considering a new car and I don't even know where to start...so I came to you guys!

My current car is a 2007 Honda Civic.  It was driveway bound for most of graduate school, so it only has 59,000 miles on it.  I love it; it's a great car.   However, it's 2 wheel drive, and I think I'm going to want AWD in Michigan.  I'm also thinking that I may want something with a bit more cargo room if I'm planning on doing outdoors stuff (skiing and eventually kayaking etc). 

I will probably end up buying something new.  First priorities are winter driving, mileage, and reliability. Second is probably space and other features.  If I can wait for the 2016's, I probably will because I am very interested in Apple CarPlay support - integration would be amazing, and it sounds like it will be widely adopted for the 2016 models (along with Android's version).

All that said - I don't even know where to start.  I've always been a compact guy, but I'm thinking a compact or midsize SUV might be the way to go?  I'm not sure about make's - I've always had Honda's, but would something like a Subaru be better? 

This is really early in my process, but I guess I'm just looking for tips or suggestions to get me started....Anyone have thoughts?

Get a preowned Lexus SUV.  AWD, low mileage, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for three years (you can get more if you wish).  I love knowing that I get a better and more comprehensive warranty than a new vehicle.  Lots of room yet it drives and handles like a car.  I had one of these for a few days a while back and loved it.  Amazing quality, awesome resale, and all the bells and whistles.  Couldn't ask for a brand with fewer issues.  Also the insurance for Lexus is sold at great rates.  This will likely be the model we purchase to replace outs if it ever wears out.

Typical example.
http://www.bobbyrahallexus.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2013-Lexus-RX_350-AWD_4dr-Mechanicsburg-PA/2539354753

We have 153,000 miles on ours with a single issue so far.  The alternator failed about a thousand miles ago.  By the way parts costs are also awesome!!  Lexus has stellar service teams.  Could not ask for better.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »
Get a preowned Lexus SUV. 

Interesting idea, but my nearest lexus dealership will be 2 hours from my new home...so that won't work :).
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 05:43:04 PM »
Ours is fairly far as well.  They bring you a Lexus to drive while yours is out for service.  Call them and talk to them.  We thought we were too far and told them that was why we weren't interested in the brand.  It was a non-issue.  The only time you see the dealer again is to get another vehicle.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 07:47:41 PM »
I love my WRX (hatch). It has enough cargo for quite a bit of stuff but is still not terribly oversized. With snow tires it's also super fun in the winter.

I'd suggest looking into the Fit too and a good set of snow tires. That't might be enough for you and the new Fit actually looks pretty nice to me. IMO, they really need a Fit SI
This signature intentionally left blank.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 10:11:22 PM »
We loved our Tucson AWD before it got destroyed, great in the snow with a good set of snow tires. Love the Santa Fe so far too.

We also found that Hyundai's "lower end" models also include a lot of features that are extra with other brands, like heated seats, Sirius XM, etc...

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 01:14:38 AM »
Jeep wrangler. Why? Because jeep
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 01:17:57 AM »
but on all seriousness, what is your budget?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 08:07:20 AM »
I like my Fit but that doesn't seem to 'fit' your requirements. I like my Honda CRV quite a bit so I'd recommend that or Knuck's suggestion.  The only reason we didn't do Lexus was cargo space. The trunk was smaller (not sq ft) but the arrangement made it smaller depending on what you want to put in it.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »
My wife and I LOVE our Subaru. We have the Outback which isn't what you're looking for, so in all seriousness, I think the Crosstrek fits your requirements.  That crossover style sits like a sedan but drives like a SUV.  You get sportiness and all wheel drive and roominess when you need it without feeling like your driving a giant van/suv/truck.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 03:26:15 PM »
but on all seriousness, what is your budget?

I really don't know it - this is super early stages, but I'm hoping mid 20's...maybe could go a bit up. Going to be financed by family probably, so I have to speak with them.  Want to figure out what's out there a bit and then go from there...

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 03:28:17 PM »
Thanks for all the tip's above all.  Obes - why not the fit?  What's the misfit?  And Hyundai's is now on the list!  Yea - I've been eyeing one of the Subaru SUV's micah - I'll have to look more closely at the Crosstec.  Thanks!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 03:55:56 PM »