Author Topic: Richard Barclay Arrested...  (Read 21608 times)

groovitude

• some hip cat
  • Founders
Richard Barclay Arrested...
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:01:38 PM »
Okay -- fair warning, I don't think it's THE Rick Barclay, but he looks a fair bit like him, and he's from New Jersey...

From the Bergen Record:

Betting ring sweep nets dozens in N.J.

By TOM TRONCONE and WALTER DAWKINS
STAFF WRITERS

The manager of Satin Dolls and 50 other people -- including several North Jersey business owners -- operated a multimillion-dollar sports betting ring that paid tribute to the Genovese crime family, authorities charged Thursday in one of the largest gaming busts in North Jersey history.
Victor Cannestro, 36, manager of the Lodi club better known as the "Bada Bing" go-go bar on "The Sopranos" TV series, took bets for the ring, which raked in millions of dollars, said Bergen County Prosecutor John L. Molinelli.
Heading the operation, Molinelli said, was Robert D'Alessio of Montville, who authorities said was dubbed "Elvis" because of a resemblance to the King of Rock-and-Roll.
D'Alessio, who often returned pages by saying, "This is Elvis," controlled a massive network of agents who took bets on his behalf in North Jersey, New York City and Florida, in return for commissions, Molinelli said.
The 51 people charged, two of whom are at large, run the social gamut. They include the owner of the popular Double D's Adult Lounge in Morristown, an American Legion bartender, the owner of a long-term parking lot at Newark Liberty International Airport, a South Hackensack computer wholesaler and a Little Falls deli owner.

The operation took in about $1 million in bets each week on football, hockey, soccer and other sports, authorities said.
"This is one of the biggest ones I've ever seen," said state police Capt. Mark Doyle. "We've seized about $3 million so far, about $500,000 just from D'Alessio alone."
Prosecutor's detectives and troopers from the New Jersey State Police executed 34 search warrants Thursday morning, rousing alleged ring members from their beds and searching at least three businesses:

$&^#E-Media Plus, a South Hackensack computer wholesaler owned by Steven Marolda, 51, of Woodcliff Lake.

$&^#Early Bird's, a Little Falls deli owned by Robert Beatty, 29, of Wayne.

$&^#Parsippany Check Cashing, where authorities said the majority of the money made in the operation was laundered. The warrants also resulted in the seizure of six guns, cocaine, marijuana and six cars.
The owners of the check-cashing business, Thomas and Kenneth Wilson of Whippany, were charged with money laundering. Authorities said the business supplied money orders to ring members in exchange for checks written just under the federal reporting threshold of $10,000.
Thomas Wilson is also the owner of Vista Airport Parking, a long-term parking concession at Newark Liberty International Airport, according to records.
"The Wilsons were the money launderers," Molinelli said. "They would take checks from Marolda that were drawn on the account of E-Media Plus and cash, and they would produce for Mr. D'Alessio legitimate money orders. The Parsippany Check Cash operation was huge."
Marolda was charged with promoting gambling. He and his wife, Jennifer, also were charged with money laundering, as was Beatty.
Based on an informant's tip, state police detectives discovered the ring, then went to Bergen County authorities, Doyle said.
"We followed it from the early part of the football season," he said. "You wait until the end of the season to take it down."
Although the operation wasn't supervised by organized crime members, D'Alessio was required to pay tribute to mobsters in the Genovese organization, Doyle said.
He said there is no evidence that Cannestro of Satin Dolls or Anthony Massa -- the owner of Double D's -- took bets at the bars.
Massa, 53, of Florham Park, was charged with promoting gambling.
D'Alessio's operation was so extensive, Molinelli said, that he established a hierarchy within the organization. Mid-level associates collected bets from the individual agents and passed them on to D'Alessio, and then the agents collected losses and paid winnings, he said.
Bettors used a system of code names and passwords to place bets via a toll-free telephone number or the Internet to a wire room in Costa Rica, Molinelli said. D'Alessio paid a service fee for use of the service, Molinelli said.
"It was all by phone," Molinelli said. "It's a very mobile business operation. It's the classic business model. You don't have to be in the office to make money. ... Hopefully people who bet by picking up a phone and calling a bookmaker will read this [today], will listen to it and see it on television, and the next time they will think twice."
D'Alessio's wife, Julie, 49, was also charged with money laundering and conspiracy to promote gambling.
Robert D'Alessio was also charged with taking part in a Lucchese crime family gambling ring in 1994.
How it worked
The illegal bookmaking operation allegedly run by Robert "Elvis" D'Alessio had a massive network of operatives, or "agents," officials say.

The agents collected losing bets and paid winners.

The wagers were placed via toll-free telephone numbers or the Internet.

Bettors used a system of code names and passwords to place wagers.

The agents were paid a commission -- a percentage of the profits.

Midlevel operatives collected earnings from agents and passed them to D'Alessio, officials say.

The actual "wire room," which set betting lines and accepted wagers, was in Costa Rica.

D'Alessio allegedly paid a weekly, per-bettor fee for the use of the wire room. Source: Bergen County Prosecutor's Office
Who was arrested
Among the North Jersey people charged in the ring:

Money laundering and promoting gambling: Michael Colombino, 48, North Haledon
Steven Marolda, 51, Woodcliff Lake
Gabe Raad, 51, Wayne
Thomas Rzucidlo, 49, Rockaway

Money laundering: Robert Beatty, 29, Wayne
Thomas R. D'Alessio, 81, Rockaway
Jennifer Marolda, Woodcliff Lake
Kenneth Wilson, Whippany
Thomas Wilson, Whippany

Promoting gambling: Chris Argenziano, 28, Kinnelon
Russell Babb, 44, Hawthorne
Richard Barclay, 50, Ringwood
Gerald Campoli, 64, Wayne, a bartender at Mahoney's Pub in Little Falls
Victor Cannestro, 36, Cedar Grove
Lawrence Carr, 48, Verona
Chester Coons, 47, Lyndhurst
Robert D'Alessio, Montville
Robert Dancu, 34, Pompton Lakes
Neil Eskow, 33, Fair Lawn
Richard Fant, 41, Wayne
Anthony Grova, 48, Ringwood
Richard Latta, 41, owner of Yes Press of Little Ferry
David Maschio, 30, Hasbrouck Heights
Anthony Massa, 53, Florham Park
James Moran, 43, Pequannock, an American Legion bartender
Joseph Psoto, 47, Glen Rock, owner of Home-a-Rama
Bill Scielso, 34, Rockaway
Jeff Scrivanich, 49, Dumont
Louis Seminerio, 59, Clifton
Steven Sherlock, 50, Fair Lawn
John Tahmoosh, 41, Totowa
Vincent Varano, 49, Wayne
Michael Verrilli, 42, Wayne

Money laundering and conspiracy to promote gambling: Julie D'Alessio, 49, Montville

Clockwise, from top-left: Photo of the county prosecutor talking about "Operation Jailhouse Rock", photo of Barclay circled in red; picture of Barclay from the front page of the Record; picture of Flashdaddee Rick Barclay from 2002.
A sophism of madness...

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:06:38 PM »
I think Rick was older than that.  Plus didn't he live in the same city as you and jen?

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 11:23:55 PM »
Rick was in his 60's wasn't he? I thought he was 58 or 59.  But yeah, that does kind of look like him, but who knows..

groovitude

• some hip cat
  • Founders
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:40:24 PM »
Quote from: Govtcheez
I think Rick was older than that.  Plus didn't he live in the same city as you and jen?

I think Rick was older than that too.  The only people from ES or FD that live in this town are Aran, JKim, and myself.  Rick said he lived in South Jersey, closer to Rod, while this RB lives only about a half-hour, forty-five minutes west.

Like I said, I don't really think it's him but the name is the same and the picture looks enough like him, so I decided to post it.
A sophism of madness...

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 11:46:39 PM »
thats still funny
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 02:27:48 AM »
One can dream, can't they?

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 02:41:18 AM »
i thought rick barclay was his fake name?

//edit: now all we need to do to prove it is post something at flashdaddee and see if he responds

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 07:40:19 AM »
i read the title, and was thinking "why does that name sound familiar?"
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »
Quote from: ethic
Rick was a nice guy
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... wait wait wait... let me breathe a second.... BWHWHWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Damn you're funny ethic!

you better be joking :mad:

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 10:33:01 AM »
omg - i see the ban hammer coming forth!
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 01:07:08 PM »
FUCK THAT.

If you saw how he treated us on the way out, you wouldn't say that.  And he doesn't want to "iron things out".  

You don't understand... he doesn't like the way we think.  He only wants to talk to people he agrees with.

I'd love if Fordy would stop by tho.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 01:11:45 PM »
>>that made you
guys leave,

We were thrown out.

>>In fact, someone should head over there and try
to iron out your differences.

I registered over there, and was promptly b&!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 01:14:15 PM »
I already asked Fordy about coming here.  He'd like to, but he's really busy.

incognito

• In the Abis
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 02:19:35 PM »
Quote from: Rob
>>that made you
guys leave,

We were thrown out.

>>In fact, someone should head over there and try
to iron out your differences.

I registered over there, and was promptly b&!

Really? you were banned?

Hillbillie

• Jackass II
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 02:27:18 PM »
Quote from: ober
You don't understand... he doesn't like the way we think.  He only wants to talk to people he agrees with.

I'm not so sure, I think it's deeper than that. I mean for crying out loud, he called my political philosophy just another word for "selfishness"; we definitely don't agree when it comes to politics, yet we're still cool.

Of course, I still don't know the entire story...
Reduced fat and now 100% pot free, but same great okay taste.