Author Topic: sudden ankle pain  (Read 19242 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
sudden ankle pain
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:45:38 AM »
so last night I was sitting down at the table and when I went to stand up, my right ankle started to hurt real bad.  I didn't think to much of it at first because I just straightened out my foot and it seemed fine.  But then I started to notice that it would hurt if I bend my foot in any direction other then straight (ie, point my toes up, down or from side to side).

14 hours later and its still hurts if I step on it wrong or turn my ankle - perhaps even worse now.  I've never sprained an ankle before but I'm not sure if that is what this is.  For starters, there was no trauma to speak of; I don't have any swelling or bruising and; like I said, I can actually walk on it fine if I keep my foot flush to the floor and straight. I can put all my body wait on it with no problem - it only hurts when I move it in some other direction (which seems to happen frequently in the natural course of walking or driving or sitting)

Any one ever have ankle problems they like to offer advice on?  Do you think this is a sprain or something else?  Should I go see a doctor or try to rest/ice it and wait and see if it gets better on its own?

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: sudden ankle pain
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:46:48 AM »
the muscle/ligaments/whatever they are in the ankle are easy to get minor tears in, you might not even realise you did it
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:54:45 AM »
Isn't that a symptom for IBS?

:lol:

Anyway, it is probably nothing to worry too much about.  Let it rest ice it, and suck down some Advil.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »
If you move your ankle in any direction it hurts?  Not just one?

I thought usually strains to the tendons and ligaments in the foot were pretty locational.  At least that's what my peroneal strain was like (which by the way sucks if you ever have to throw the hammer).  You definitely can cause significant pain to yourself by accidentally pulling something without it bruising or swelling.

If it's impacting the way you walk and you have no real reason to why your ankle hurts, I'd see a doctor.

edit: this is speaking from an athletic standpoint.  feel free to ignore me.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »
Well you got a vote for let it go and one for see a doctor.

Jen is smarter than I.  She wins.  Go see a doctor.

Maybe he can help you with the IBS too.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:06:28 AM »
Oh, I would advise to try the advil though, if you haven't.  Doctors like to ask if you've done that.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »

I guess, now that I think about it, its mostly if my foot is turned slightly out to the right or when my heal is raised above my toes (like standing on my toes or walking down stairs).

A couple minutes ago, the pain hadn't been all that bad and I forgot to be careful. I dropped something on the floor and when I bent over to pick it up, whatever I did with my foot caused quite a bit of pain that lasted for bout 30 seconds. 

Also, I don't think I have IBS right now - but I do have a sore throat - which I doubt is related.

edit: oh, and I took 3 Motrin before going to bed last night. I think they helped because I slept through the night fairly well (except for when I got up to go the bathroom and planted my foot wrong getting out of bed... owww).
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 10:31:59 AM »
doctor is going to give u some ibprophen and a bill. Just rotate heat and ice and take tylonel/advil but not both
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:17:17 PM »

I guess, now that I think about it, its mostly if my foot is turned slightly out to the right or when my heal is raised above my toes (like standing on my toes or walking down stairs).

Definately IBS.

A couple minutes ago, the pain hadn't been all that bad and I forgot to be careful. I dropped something on the floor and when I bent over to pick it up, whatever I did with my foot caused quite a bit of pain that lasted for bout 30 seconds. 

Also, I don't think I have IBS right now - but I do have a sore throat - which I doubt is related.
Nope not IBS.  Sex though.

edit: oh, and I took 3 Motrin before going to bed last night. I think they helped because I slept through the night fairly well (except for when I got up to go the bathroom and planted my foot wrong getting out of bed... owww).

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 05:19:48 PM »
Go see a doctor.  If there is no swelling and no bruising, that could be kinda bad.  If you've torn ligaments or something, you don't want to aggravate it.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
So by the end of the day yesterday it was feeling better and this morning I woke up and can't duplicate any motions to cause the pain!  :D

so now I'm left with a mystery of WTF that was all about?  My boss mentioned it might have been a pinched nerve.

that could make sense I guess. I have a pinched nerve in my neck that causes my left arm to go numb sometimes when I sneeze or cough violently (which is happening a lot today because my sore throat turned into a chest cold)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 11:35:26 AM »
I have a pinched nerve in my neck that causes my left arm to go numb sometimes when I sneeze or cough violently

hmm.  my left shoulderblade goes numb if i don't have perfect posture (which is often).  does that sound like a pinched nerve also?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 11:42:40 AM »
someone change forum name to Dr. ES, please

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 12:17:48 PM »
*dies*

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 04:29:29 PM »
lmao

i have three pinched nerves in my knee, its more likely you just had a sprain/strain