Author Topic: Learn me Skype  (Read 2022 times)

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
Learn me Skype
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:15:20 AM »
Put this in here since it gets more traffic than the software forum.

So in looking at possible communication techniques back home, I keep hearing Skype is the way to go.

So is that true?  I've never used it and have really never been interested in it - until now that i'll be leaving for a while.

I'll need something that is rather simple since my mommy is completly computer un-savvy (the only thing she does on a computer is play solitaire and she makes someone start the program for her).  She has an email address, but usually makes someone else (read: me) check it for her and get her her coupons for Michael's.

I had planned to read up about it here at work but these bitches have it blocked.

Commence!
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Learn me Skype
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 09:21:29 AM »
Skype is definitely the way to go.  Very easy to use and pretty seamless on the setup.  I'd recommend it to novices of all types.  I don't know of an easier way to communicate.

drakkenkorin

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »
gonna have to find time to read it - in between making travel arrangements, packing, scheduling them to pick up my HHG and telling them what to ship and what to store, getting my power of attorneys singed and filed, etc. etc. etc.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 09:58:42 AM »
Skype is definitely the way to go.  Very easy to use and pretty seamless on the setup.  I'd recommend it to novices of all types.  I don't know of an easier way to communicate.

+1
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »
Yup. My dad just set it up and we got it running in a couple minutes. It works just like AIM or MSNMessenger, except you can call, too.

Do this for your mom (and yourself): (Apologies for uber-simplified instructions)

Setup:
1. Download.
2. Install.
3. Create a user.
4. Remember the username or email used in profile for the new user.
5. When your user is setup, search for your mom's user and add as a contact.
6. On mom's machine, open skype. Click OK to accept you as a contact.
Boom! You're connected.

Usage:
* Skype usually starts when Windows starts, so you don't have to have her start it.
* Email and tell each other when to be online. Or...
* Go to Tools > Options and have it set her status as Away when the computer is idle for 5 minutes (or whatever) so you know when she is online if you're not planning on having appointments for calling.
* When you want to call or instant message just do it when she's online and it will pop up a message. She will just have to click on it.
* If she wants to contact you, she has to double-click the green icon in the status bar, then double-click on your name in the contact list.
* For instant messages, nothing special is needed, but for calls you need speakers and a microphone and a webcam if you want video.
* If only one person has a webcam, that's fine, they can share video while the other just watches.
* Echo/feedback can be a problem, so test her speaker/microphone system before you leave. Consider a headphone/microphone combo if she's comfortable with it and you're having problems. Same for you.
* Consider adding a few dollars to your skype account. You can use it to call a landline. This helps if you want to call your mom (or someone else) and she isn't online. Calling the U.S. is cheap I think about 2 cents/minute, and you can either tell her to get on her computer or just talk for a couple minutes for low rates. In fact, if it's cheap enough you might want to just do this to make calling your mom easier so she doesn't have to use the computer.
* If she knows how to work skype, she can call a landline in kuwait for cheap. The current rate looks like about 14 cents. View > Call phones and then type in the phone number like you're on a phone.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »
Skype is awesome. 

Been using it for years.  Works well internationally to talk to China or nationally to walk Kermi through installing a heat sink for his CPU.

Video is great.  Audio is better than a phone.  Inflection is clearly transmitted.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »
Audo is right on par with my comcast digital voice
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 03:40:47 PM »
I also like Google chat. The Video is not too bad and the audio quality is pretty good too. When they integrate Gizmo they're going to have a good competitor to Skype.
This signature intentionally left blank.

drakkenkorin

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 07:36:29 PM »
Sounds easy enough and I've looked at the videos on skype and it seems like my mom will be able to handle it better than email.

Now I just have to get that piece of crap netbook fixed up so I can leave it for her.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »
Skype = A+ and the new beta allows video conferencing!
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 11:44:27 AM »
I'm working from home today (as is my other coworker) so my boss wanted us to "Skype-In" for a meeting and I was like "oh shit, I better get on the bandwagon" --- so I finally signed up for skype.  I can't believe how many other Micah Murray's already took all the good user names. LOL
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 04:39:29 PM »
Make yours TheMicahMurray

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 05:04:23 PM »
bada$$mother&!*#@% is taken I'll bet isn't it?
This signature intentionally left blank.

Bassy

• Red Panda
  • Jackass IV
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
skype's great - when my ex best friend went to New Zealand last year (supposedly to emigrate but he lasted less than a month) we used to spend about 2-6 hours a day talking on it - it was nice and clear, easy to use, much much clearer than the phone...
People in bamboo houses shouldn't throw pandas

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 09:39:44 PM »
I also like Google chat. The Video is not too bad and the audio quality is pretty good too. When they integrate Gizmo they're going to have a good competitor to Skype.

I found google video to be way more reliable than skype. Skype always gets choppy, GV never seemed to skip a beat. But GV isn't supported on linux yet so I'm stuck with skype right now (left my mac at home, brought the netbook to Cali).