Author Topic: Server shit  (Read 6368 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Server shit
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 06:08:39 PM »

Yeah.  Couple from work, so don't take totally trust it.
Can you try that again?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 04:31:01 PM »
I don't know if it counts as server shit, but I didn't get a couple notification emails (not in SPAM either). That includes your reply to this thread.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 08:19:55 PM »
I haven't changed the forums at all so I don't know why that would happen. When was the last one you got?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 08:24:05 PM »
I've been getting most of them. Got the one from this post. There was just a couple where I was surprised to see a reply when I browsed over to here.

I'm not worried, but if it starts happening regularly I'll try to keep a closer eye.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
That happens to me randomly and has for years. I blame SMF.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 08:48:03 PM »
Oh and it happens on other servers too. Not just this one

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
Never really happened to me on other SMF forums I've participated in, and has only happened here a couple times (often an issue on my side). No biggie, but not common.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »
So I've been having weird issues with emails from this forum for awhile. Mostly I don't get notifications or they come way late (today I got an email notification about a post Micah made on Halloween).

Funny thing was that I searched the forums to see if we'd had this discussion before. I thought I remembered maybe the problem was related to your servers, ober, and that it might affect your other sites. I figured if it only affected us (or me) I'd leave it alone but if it could affect your other clients I was going to say something.

I found about 6 threads talking about email notification issues, including this one. Nearly every single one of them was me bitching about it by myself. So feel free to ignore this, I just wanted to add one more. ;)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
Well... interesting that you mention it.  I'm not sure why what I did would have kicked out some notifications, but I changed the primary domain on my server this morning.  It was whproductions.com and it is now windyhillwebs.com.  I am letting my old domain expire (whproductions.com).  I'm not sure if any of that would have 'shook loose' some old notifications or what that may have been.  I actually wasn't expecting any changes for this site. 

If you notice anything else weird, please let me know.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »
Doesn't seem like it was the domain change. I got an email this past Thursday for a reply you made to a thread on 30-Oct.

Could be gmail since it always tells me "This message may not have been sent by: <your gmail email>". Dunno.

I'll post a bunch here and then we'll shake out any issues with the new domain. ;)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »
That's weird.  I don't expect any other issues with the domain change.

I guess this begs a larger question.  I've been ignoring updates to SMF.  It works, we don't do a lot on here, and no one is screaming for new features.  I guess the lingering question I've had for a while is... what does this site look like for you guys long term?  Do we switch to different/newer software?  Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade SMF?  Should we consider moving to a completely different platform altogether? 

In reality, there are really only about 10 of us that chime in on things with any regularity.  I like coming here and I like seeking input from you guys... just not sure how the rest of you are feeling?

EDIT: I'm going to start a new thread about this.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 07:47:22 PM »
Speaking of server shit.  Need any funding from us?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »
Nah, not right now, but thanks for the offer.