Author Topic: Smart people ruin everything  (Read 3668 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Smart people ruin everything
« on: November 04, 2018, 02:39:30 AM »
I'm watching star trek and thinking about multiverses.  Then, being the brilliant philosopher that I am I thought to myself, if there are an infinite number of universes then surely there exists universes in which someone has found a way to communicate with other universes.  And since we haven't heard from them, its like Fermi's paradox and aliens.  Furthermore, since the number of those universes is also infinite, surely there exists one in which someone has found a way to destroy the multiverse.   Yet we exist, ergo, no multiverse.

I figured I'd publish a paper or something on this brilliant realization but thought I'd google it first to make sure I'm the only one to realize this ingenious point. Unfortunetly for me, there's like a million sites discussing this very thing:

https://www.quora.com/If-there-are-infinite-universes-doesnt-that-mean-that-in-one-of-them-theres-a-being-with-the-power-and-desire-to-destroy-the-multiverse-causing-a-paradox-since-were-still-here

and actual smart people are just like, STFU.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Smart people ruin everything
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 05:11:26 AM »
Wow.  I did not see that post coming.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 04:56:55 PM »
I never understood (nor spent any time looking into) the idea of multiverses. It seems so bizarre and unlikely that I'm surprised people consider it a real possibility but maybe I'm just ignorant of the idea.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 12:11:46 AM »
Our universe cant communicate with the others because our simulation isnt networked

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 09:11:04 AM »
Our universe cant communicate with the others because our simulation isnt networked

I bet it's just a DNS issue...

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »
Furthermore, since the number of those universes is also infinite, surely there exists one in which someone has found a way to destroy the multiverse. Yet we exist, ergo, no multiverse.

To throw a bit of complexity in there, that may not actually be a valid conclusion. You still have to account for time. So it may be possible that outcome exists but isn't yet part of our timeline.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 02:39:23 PM »

I bet it's just a DNS issue...
I'd lay money on a bad resolver configuration.  Just need to find the right IP address

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 06:02:21 AM »
We have so been banned.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 08:48:38 AM »
Yeah, I'll go with Knuck's suggestion.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »
To throw a bit of complexity in there, that may not actually be a valid conclusion. You still have to account for time. So it may be possible that outcome exists but isn't yet part of our timeline.

Hmm that's a good point.  But it assumes that time is a constant across the multiverse and not a function of each individual universe. If time is a construct within the scope of a given dimension it wouldn't matter when the destruction of the overall system occurred.  Or not, what do I know.

We have so been banned.

oh for sure.  :lol:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »
looks like the probe from "Star Trek IV: The funny star trek"

but seriously, if it really looks like that artist's rendering, my first guess would be that its a big chip off a giant rock.  Maybe two asteroid collided in interstellar space and this piece has yet to get into the gravitational pull of another object or system.

of course, that theory is based on me looking at a picture and reading the first few paragraphs of one article -- which is how I come to most conclusions in life  :lol:
Did I mention I have a MIT e-mail address.  Instant qualification.