Author Topic: Anyone do iOS programming?  (Read 2872 times)

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
Anyone do iOS programming?
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:31:35 PM »
Subject says it all. I'm fiddling with some now.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Anyone do iOS programming?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:11:56 PM »
Wouldn't I need one of those icky Macs to do that?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Anyone do iOS programming?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:33:14 PM »
Wouldn't I need one of those icky Macs to do that?

Yep
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
we just got approved a couple weeks ago at work, so I am technically an apple developer but I haven't done anything with it yet.  My coworker made the "hello world" app using the standard tutorial.  I'd like to do more but our client load doesn't require any app development right now.  Most of our mobile programming is in the line of mobile-specific or responsive websites.

Thats said, we're upgrading our adobe suite from cs5 to 5.5 soon (unless a release date for 6 is announced soon) and it has tools to build native iOS and android apps using html and jquery-mobile in conjunction with some adobe plugin tools.  looks kinda promising for those of use who don't write compiled languages for a living :)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:00:35 PM »
Cool, micah! You should play with it in your spare time.

I've built a few mobile sites -- my personal site is built off Skeleton, a responsive web framework, and I toyed with Sencha Touch and jQuery Mobile for a person project that went nowhere. I like the responsive design stuff more than trying to build a native app with web tech.

So far I've learned how to built a simple iPhone app that responds to button presses and sets attributes of controls (labels, anyway). It's not too bad. Sometimes it reminds me of doing MFC or Win32 API (*shudder*) but it really is a lot more clean. The way Obj-C "sends messages" to objects instead of having methods called directly is a little strange, but I think I can get used to it.

I'm working off this in ebook form: http://www.bignerdranch.com/book/ios_programming_the_big_nerd_ranch_guide_nd_edition_

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »
We have a special day that's supposed to be once per quarter but ends up being once every year or two where we can do whatever we want. A lot of people tried iOS or Android apps last time. Maybe I'll give it a go if we have the chance to do it again.

I thought the iOS thing cost $99, but maybe you're not charged if you're only learning. Part of me would prefer to try Android since that's Java. One guy in our office did it and spent most of the day downloading the development environment.

Meh... If I actually had free time I'd totally do it. Maybe in 15 years.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:07:06 PM »
It costs $99 if you want to put it on a device, but you can download XCode and the iOS emulator and dev for free. The (unmodified) iPhone won't run an app without a digital signature from Apple for the developer.

Cool that you get some free time....every other year, not so much.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 06:56:45 AM »
that is cool that they give you the free time. I hear that some places, like google, give programmers like 20% of their time --- a day a week -- to explore personal project and development.  Wish we could do that where I am, even if it was 1 day a month.

of couse, I probably log about 10 to 20% of my time as "research" anyway which often has no current business purpose or is even spent on personal (not-commercial) projects.  In the end, its personal development that translates to best practices for future work and suggestions for better ideas for our clients.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »
that is cool that they give you the free time. I hear that some places, like google, give programmers like 20% of their time --- a day a week -- to explore personal project and development.  Wish we could do that where I am, even if it was 1 day a month.

I have a couple of friends at Google, it's true that you get one day per week to work on what ever you want.... it's called Sunday!

(at least that's the joke they make, I think they officially do give you the time but you always need it to stay caught up on work).