Author Topic: a sad, sad day  (Read 14983 times)

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Re: a sad, sad day
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 11:21:41 AM »
Hello Rob! how are you?

Good thanks! Life is just crazy busy right now.

You still at the same place?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 11:25:04 AM »
This thing I really hate about iOS is that you can't configure which apps are the default handlers of different types of content like you can for Android.

Agreed. I got turned off Apple when I had an Ipod touch for like 6 months, and went to download an app from the app store only to be told it was no longer supported. WTF?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 11:38:06 AM »
Hello Rob! how are you?

Good thanks! Life is just crazy busy right now.

You still at the same place?

indeed I am. Gotta love NCR :)
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 11:02:49 PM »
I should mention, that over all I really like this phone!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 03:21:16 PM »
This thing I really hate about iOS is that you can't configure which apps are the default handlers of different types of content like you can for Android. If you tell Siri to play a song, it opens iTunes. Google can be configured to use any music app. If you click on a URL in iOS, it opens Safari.. on Android, choose any browser. Want to open a photo? Apple Photos... on android, choose your favorite photo library or editing app. Click on an address or GPS coordinate? That has to be Apple Maps on iOS.. but again on Android you can choose. calendar entry/iCal? opens in Apple Calendar, on android, your choice!  It's a real pain if you're already set up with Google services and try to use an iPhone.

I also like Androids sorted "app drawer" that allows me to have fewer icons on my desktops. I know iOS lets you have folders but it's not quite the same.
If there is one thing I hate about iOS, it is this.  Truly truly wish they would let you set default apps.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 03:24:26 PM »
This thing I really hate about iOS is that you can't configure which apps are the default handlers of different types of content like you can for Android.

Agreed. I got turned off Apple when I had an Ipod touch for like 6 months, and went to download an app from the app store only to be told it was no longer supported. WTF?
The only time I had that happen is if the app is super old and hasn't been updated, but I never got one from the store like that.  It was always an app that I had for a long time but stopped using.  I get why they'd prevent usage if the OS no longer supports it but they should block you from downloading them.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 09:38:09 PM »
I'd probably prefer Android but everybody and my mom is on iOS so it's just easier to use that. My daughter has a deactivated phone but I can easily message her just like I'm texting since we both use Apple. I can also easily manage her screen time. My whole family can see photos easily on photo streams. Etc etc.

Sure there are apps that can go across devices, but the ease of use of having built-in stuff outweighs any preference I'd have for an Android.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 09:02:06 AM »
I'd probably prefer Android but everybody and my mom is on iOS so it's just easier to use that. My daughter has a deactivated phone but I can easily message her just like I'm texting since we both use Apple. My whole family can see photos easily on photo streams.

for what its worth my wife has an iPhone, I have an Android and my kids use android tablets and my old deactivated Android phones and we use the google exosphere to do the same.  Google hangouts (or whatever its called now) lets my wife text the kids and all of the (thousands) of photos my 8-year-old takes on her tablet end up in our shared googled photos library.  All that is built into the Android phones, but I'm sure my wife had to download apps on her iPhone. 

There have been a couple times recently I've thought it might be better to have an iPhone - mostly because new tech/apps get developed for them first.  Like I really like the idea of this "smart" insulin pen https://www.companionmedical.com/InPen/ but their app is only for iOS.  But in the end, I'm still happy with the perceived flexibility I get on the Android platform.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 04:59:26 PM »
soooooo, back with motorola! was very tempted to get the razor a couple months ago, but I was too chicken shit and thought I would regret it. Glad I waited. Just took delivery of the edge plus and so far so good. Everything transferd from my old phone except a few contacts. Will post a lengthier review after I get to use it for a while.

Woohoo for moto flashlight and moto display!!!!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 12:11:34 AM »
What's so special about the flashlight and display?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 02:53:34 AM »
What's so special about the flashlight and display?

It's the way you turn on the flash light that is special. You "shake" the phone twice and pop! It turns on. Two more shakes and it turns off. Very very handy.

Moto display displays notifications on the screen discreetly while the screen is locked and black...also an awesome feature I missed when I switched to LG

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 09:56:10 AM »
All I have to do is touch my iPhone screen when it's locked and the flashlight button is right there on the screen.  Doesn't seem any more complicated.  I guess the shake might be slightly more convenient.

What do you mean by 'discreetly'?  My iPhone only shows headers for notifications until the face recognition unlocks the screen.  Is that what you mean?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2020, 10:49:26 AM »
I generally found the the shake and squeeze features just don't work well enough.  So many false positives that over time I turn them off and just go back to the screen pull down menu.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2020, 03:58:16 PM »
I generally found the the shake and squeeze features just don't work well enough.  So many false positives that over time I turn them off and just go back to the screen pull down menu.

I think that throughout all the years I've owned a moto phone I never had a false positive with the features I had turned on.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2020, 04:55:55 PM »
On my old phone I had the squeeze function set to maximum squeeze needed and triggered it so often just pulling it out of my pocket.