Author Topic: Recommend a dishwasher?  (Read 5447 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Recommend a dishwasher?
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:27:01 AM »
So.. after repairing my dishwasher twice in the past year it started leaking again yesterday.  This time out the top, like the top latch isn't holding it enough.  I'm fuckin done with this thing.  We decided to try and live without one for a little bit but I don't think that will last long.

I did some research last night and it seems like Bosch is king of the dishwashers with Whirlpool having some notable options (gleaned from consumer reports).  Does anyone else have opinions?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Recommend a dishwasher?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
I've had good luck so far with my Frigidaire. Fridge and dishwasher so far. It's not the quietest but so far no issues.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:10:20 AM »
Went through that search last July.

My original go-to was Bosch also.  Spoke with a few repair shops and found out they have a ton of issues and did not keep up in the technology race.  The worst news was that the Bosch hardware failures are repeating.  This means they know of the issues and are letting the service group deal with it rather than make a change(s) and repair them.  Plus they are fairly expensive from the onset.

So I opened it up to everyone and the clear winners were Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool Gold.  Whirlpool makes both.  We ended up with the KDTE104ESS0 Kitchen Aid.  We could not rate an appliance higher.  Silent, cleans really well, looks great, and seems to be easier on the dishes.  10/10

Hope that helps.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 11:33:41 AM »
Our Bosch is amazing. First dishwasher I've ever used that actually cleans everything properly. Others would always leave residue or food baked on.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »
@tgm, I'm actually replacing a Frigidaire.  It lasted 10 years so I can't really complain.  But I frankly didn't see them in any of my research so I wonder if they fell off the map in the past decade?  We actually have a Frigidaire Fridge, Stove, and dishwasher (and had a microwave from them as well at one point.

@Knuck - That does help.  I did ask the last dishwasher repair guy about it and he basically said avoid Samsung and something else I don't remember.  He mentioned Whirlpool but I don't recall if/what he said about bosch.  I'll give whirlpool another glance.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »
I think mine is 4 ish years old maybe. I forget. I hate shopping for appliances though since I think it's largely just a gamble. Seems the quality control is not what it used to be (for things in general too). My step-mom works at a parts place so I usually go based on how easy something is to repair and how often she gets called for parts. Since they seem to change models all the time it's hard to stick with any particular brand or recommend something since by the time you would there's something else better or it's no longer available.

I'll check with her an see if she has any to specifically avoid.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 12:30:10 PM »
My dishwasher is nearing 40 years old, but still looks great and performs amazingly well.

I'm hoping to replace her with a younger, 10 year old dishwasher soon, but the younger model just doesn't get the dishes clean and breaks dishes at a much higher rate.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 12:36:17 PM »
So wrong.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »
Stay away from LG and Samsung she said. Parts are harder to get and techs don't like working on them.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 04:49:49 PM »
Stay away from LG and Samsung she said. Parts are harder to get and techs don't like working on them.
Yeah, that's what the dishwasher repair guy from Sears said.  Thanks for asking!

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 06:01:40 AM »
Samsung and LG have serious issues with dishwashers.  However Samsung rules the roost in ranges.  And LG with washers and dryers.  Go figure.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 08:11:37 AM »
We have a whirlpool dishwasher and so far so good. Got it probably 4 years ago or so. It does a great job cleaning and is relatively quiet.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 09:00:31 PM »
Samsung and LG have serious issues with dishwashers.  However Samsung rules the roost in ranges.  And LG with washers and dryers.  Go figure.
The guy that came out to look at my washer actually said to avoid LG for washers and dryers.  He put them in the same category as samsung (shitty electronics).  He recommended Whirlpool which is what we went with.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 09:56:06 PM »
Our LG washer lasted 13 years of nearly nightly use before failing a seal and got a slight drip.  Were it in the basement it would likely still be running.  The dryer is still going strong.

We replaced the LG washer with the similar newer model.  Good about a year so far.

In general Whirlpool appliances are solid.  They make several brands.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 08:09:15 AM »
He seemed to indicate that the more recent ones were problematic (so maybe your older one was fine).  And maybe they are OK.  I am sure experience varies.