Author Topic: Drones  (Read 2554 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Drones
« on: July 08, 2017, 08:40:44 PM »
So I bought my son a starter drone for Christmas and we flew it inside in the basement during the winter. Then 2 weeks ago around Father's Day I'm outside with the kids and we were messing around with it. I was chasing them around the yard with it.

Then something happened and one of the kids picked it up and turned it around and I took off again. Unfortunately I got all turned around and ended up taking it the wrong direction and I parked in the top of one of the approximately 80 foot trees in our backyard. And it is so thick that we couldn't even find it. I figured it was lost and I was out about 70 bucks.

Fast forward to Tuesday night. We are in the backyard on July 4th and I'm under the tree. Keep in mind that we have had some pretty rough storms lately and I figured even if it did come down it was fried from being out in the rain. But I look up and there it was hanging about 3 feet above my head in some low branches!!!

I swapped the battery in it and it fired right up!  I've been flying it in the house since and I do intend to take it back outside but I need to be more careful next time.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Drones
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »
cool beans that you found it and it still works!

Think you might upgrade at some point to a more outdoorsy style device?  I think Jake did some aerial video with one, I'd love to mess around with one at some point. just don't have the coin to burn on something like that.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 06:03:08 AM »
Those things look fun.  Maybe someday I will get one to "start" with.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 05:30:31 PM »
The one I have is definitely fine for outdoors.  It's meant to have a fair amount of space because it can do flips and stuff.  It's not one of those tiny hand-held ones but it's not one that you'd put an HD camera on it either.  I don't have a video feed to the controller either.  I probably won't invest in a much nicer one.  I just can't justify the expense.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:37:25 PM »
Santa got one of those for my son too. But the plastic motor gears kept braking and I kept fixing them and each time it broke it was about half an hour to fix it. So I was fixing it more then flying it. My son also got frustrated. So the drone retired.

I have a dji phantom 3. I flew it about 10 times. I'm glad I got it for such an awesome price, otherwise I would be kicking myself for spending a lot of money on a toy I hardwly use.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 07:03:34 AM »
Which one did you get your son?  I haven't had a single problem with mine. And we have crashed it. A lot.

If you want to just ship yours to me, I'll take it off your hands. I wouldn't want it to go to waste ;)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 06:02:36 AM »
It's technically Santa's.  He would have to get permission.