Author Topic: Poe: House of Usher and Purloined Letter  (Read 4270 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Poe: House of Usher and Purloined Letter
« on: November 02, 2005, 09:00:13 PM »
Whenever you guys are ready, start discussing the stories here.

to start this off I'll pose a general question: which story did you like better? why?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 03:25:28 PM »
so I guess it is not going anywhere again, is it?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

7smurfs

• Jackass III
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 07:10:34 PM »
Usher because it is the only one of the two I've read. Not too bad, but I don't care for old literature that much. Except for Shakespear, Shakespear kicks ass.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:05:27 PM »
by "old" literature I assume you mean classics - how can you not care about them? I mean, you appreciate modern literature to the fullist extent without reading the classics. All writers, whether they like to admit it or not, are influenced by what they read, and then some parts of it, conciously or not, get into their own writing.

I actually like Purloined letter more...but you really can't beat the first sentece of Usher - it is one of the best opening sentences in gothic literary history.

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 08:21:03 PM »
I actually would like to read these books, but I haven't had any time to do pleasure reading, as in AP English, I'm always reading one or two books at a time, and with all the work, I haven't had any extra time.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 09:08:16 PM »
they're not books - they're short stories
I've read them both within an hour...

7smurfs

• Jackass III
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 09:33:17 PM »
Quote from: axon
by "old" literature I assume you mean classics - how can you not care about them? I mean, you appreciate modern literature to the fullist extent without reading the classics. All writers, whether they like to admit it or not, are influenced by what they read, and then some parts of it, conciously or not, get into their own writing.

I actually like Purloined letter more...but you really can't beat the first sentece of Usher - it is one of the best opening sentences in gothic literary history.

I didn't say I didn't care ABOUT it, I said I didn't care FOR it. The language is, to me, horribly difficult to read. It has nothing to do with the style, the topic, or the time period. It is just that the language is a bitch. Then again, I'm still in High School, so I guess (or rather, hope) that is to be expected.

As for Usher, I really like the ending. While the symbolism between the house and man is obvious, I still find it quite brilliant to read.

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 10:17:55 PM »
Oh, they're only short stories? I'll check them out, then.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 10:32:21 PM »
Quote from: Overthrown
Oh, they're only short stories? I'll check them out, then.

read my avatar, ;)

hehe

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 10:50:33 PM »
>>All writers, whether they like to admit it or not, are influenced by what they read, and then some parts of it, conciously or not, get into their own writing. <<

Well duh.