Author Topic: Recommend a small grill  (Read 5694 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Recommend a small grill
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:36:23 AM »
Now that I live in an apartment with a outdoor access I can own a grill!!!  But I don't know what to get. 
Criteria:
It needs to be small. 
 * I only have a stoop and a small area of ground (plus a common back yard)
 * I don't have much room inside to store it (either between each cooking session or during the off-season; depending on the weather-resistance of the unit.)

It should be cheap.
 * I don't have much money.  I'm willing to pay a little more for the perfect device, but its more important to have something so I can get to grillin'

I'm willing to entertain the idea of a one of those little Weber "smokey joe" thingies for charcoal - the down side is 1) prep time of heating coals and 2) storage of charcoal.

Full size propane tanks (those 20 or 30 lb white ones) are probably a bad idea too as 1) I'm pretty sure its not legal to store them inside and 2) they're big and bulky and take up a lot of space, even outside.  Plus, 3) most of the grills that take them are big and expensive.

Probably the best fuel source would be those little green tanks you can buy at walmart that you attach to, like, a camping stove.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Edit: oh and I almost forgot: no electric grills! I want to cook with fire!!!

(attached is a pick of my "back yard")
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:46:09 AM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Recommend a small grill
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41:15 AM »
This grill can cook really well, folds up nicely, and isnt that pricey. I have had mine for 5 years and its still perfect, and im not easy on it. Concerts, road trips, canoe trips, camping, you name it.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »
oh and the propane lasts a while. one standard size camping tank lasts like 10 medum uses or 5-7 heavy ones.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:04:29 AM »
Dunno if it fits your price range, but the Weber Genesis and Spirit series grills are truly awesome products for the money. 

Watch for sales at both the beginning and end of seasons for spectacular deals on Weber grills.

Weber grills tend to last for years, have relatively low maintenance, and are very well supported even decades later.

The Genesis is their bread and butter product line.  Home Depot has carries the only Genesis with cast iron grill plates.

A little advice when purchasing ANY brand of grill.

1 - Get the heaviest grill plates you can find.  The the thermal mass is paramount for searing.

2 - Consider having two propane tanks.  Sucks to run out half way through a grill out.

3 - Get stainless burners if you can. 

3 - If you get cast iron burners or grill plates, season them.  ( http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html )  Once seasoned they last for ever.  My burners are cast.  We seasoned them in place and they still look and work perfectly ten years later.  If you don't season them, they will flake and fail in months.

4 - DO NOT get anything with lava rocks or their like.  They are a nasty mess that constantly cause flare-ups among other issues.  Though they are a huge improvement over lava rocks I am not a fan of the ceramic blocks either due to similar issues.

5 - Keep an extension lighter on hand.  Inevitably the piezoelectric lighter fails.  (I seem strangely immune to this...)

6 - Cheap wire frame grill plate grills with galvanized steel burners suck.  They don't sear well, rust easily, fail constantly heat unevenly and are expensive to maintain.  IMO  If you can't afford anything else...my advice is to wait until you can.

Hope that helped.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 10:09:57 AM »
3 - If you get cast iron burners or grill plates, season them.  ( http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html )  Once seasoned they last for ever.  My burners are cast.  We seasoned them in place and they still look and work perfectly ten years later.  If you don't season them, they will flake and fail in months.

+++1

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »
Another neat trick that works with any grill.  Line the drip tray with two (at least) layers of tinfoil.  Easy clean up.  Only replace the top layer unless it leaks.

To clean the grill plates, put tin foil shiny side towards the burners.  Fire it up to full heat and let it rip for a few minutes (results vary with each grill).  The stuff on the plates turns to ash and they can be wiped clean with damp paper towel.  Oh.  the foil lasts years, just fold it up and use it the next time the plates need a good cleaning/sterilizing.

Cover your grill as soon as it cools.  Every time.

Grill versus siding.  Siding loses.  Every time. 

Grill versus brick.  Brick wins but looks like there has been a house fire.  Nearly impossible to clean without making a big "extra clean spot".

Lesson keep the grill well away from other surfaces.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:12:54 PM »

BWAHAHAH!!! :rofl2: :rofl:

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 01:20:59 PM »

BWAHAHAH!!! :rofl2: :rofl:

chuckled at this as well...a buddy of mine found this out the hard way...brand new charbroil professional series grill next to house = melted siding...it was freaking hilarious...of course he still doesn't think it was funny...

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »
I have been wise enough to avoid this but have seen evidence of this kind of FAIL many many times.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 04:13:46 PM »
The other nice thing about the grill i posted is you can lift it right off the cooler/supports and use it table top style if you want.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »
oh and i saw a 14 inch grate style charcoal grill at the dollar general today for $25 if that style suits you

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:34 AM »
thoughts on this thing: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=218022-505-386002&detail=&lpage=none

it seems to have good reviews.  Its towards the top of my price range but seems like its well built and has a "Porcelain-enameled Cast-iron cooking grate"  which seems better then those wimpy wire grates that the cheaper, $25 units have.   :dunno:

sorta need to make a decision by tonight.  we're having people over tomorrow and we sort of promised kabobs on the grill. LOL.  (also, anyone know how to make kabobs?)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 12:16:53 PM »
Considering the price....not bad.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »
For around the same price u can get the one i showed u and u dont have to bend over or have a table all the time. But as to the grill itsself, it looks really nice for the price

And kabobs are easy, lemme find my recipe that i use. They are all basically the same, diff is in preparing the food you use on it. Oh and ALWAYS wet the kabob sticks lol

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom