Author Topic: Recommend a small grill  (Read 5693 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Recommend a small grill
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 02:47:24 PM »
Yeah but his has cast iron grates.  Nice to hold heat to properly sear with.  Creates nice tasty fond.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fond

Searing is important to create fond not to "seal in the juices".

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 10:59:11 PM »
so I bought that Weber.
When I showed it to my wife in the store she was first taken back by the price - especially since you could buy full size grills for that price and most of the other "table top" ones were less than $50.  Then I pointed out the build differences.  This weber has a nice heavy cast-iron grate (thanks knucks for reminding me to look for that) and the outside is a nice sturdy alumnim.  The heating element inside is an oval, not a straight line for more even heat and, the inside is bowl shaped with a whole in the middle and drip tray under neither.  I'm pretty happy with it off the shelf.  I'll try actually cooking with it tomorrow and see how it really turns out.

on the down side I was a little bummed though... I went to lowes planning to buy the q-100 model for $150 less a 10% coupon I had (or $135).  They only had the q-120 which is the exact same thing but with fold-in side tables but cost $179.  so, after the coupon it would have been $161.    I really don't want the little tables and didn't want to spend the unexpected extra $26 so we drove to Target and just bought the q-100 there for $150.  So I saved $11 out of principle. 

then I got home and realized there are TWO features added to the q-120.  The fold-in tables and MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY, the electric starter  :mad:  so I saved a measly $11 but from now until eternity I have to start my grill with a lighter.  :(  oh well.

I'm still over-all pretty happy with my purchase (again, I haven't actually cooked with it yet though)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 11:49:46 PM »
Keep us updated!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »
They make gas grills without igniters?  Jeez, even the crummy $20 one I bought from kmart for camping had that

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 05:37:47 PM »
They make gas grills without igniters?  Jeez, even the crummy $20 one I bought from kmart for camping had that

I know, I was surprised myself. I just assumed it was supposed to be there...  Actually, I just read some of the review, like on amazon that mention, "A push-button ignition means easy, reliable lighting on the road or at that remote campsite. "    so WTF?  was it just not in the box?  hmmmmmm.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »
so I called weber and the most helpfull customer service rep ever, Deb, was surprised that it didn't have it because its supposed to be there.  "how else would you light your grill?" she said.  LOL.

So she registered my grill and is mailing me out a lighter unit. I should have it in 10 to 14 days or sooner.   :woot:

ok, so that was one snafu.  I"m grilling on it tonight.  I'll let you know how it preforms.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 11:04:28 AM »
Tried it out last night with great success! We had about 8 people over and I made kabobs and burgers. The grilling surface is pretty big, considering the overall compact size of the grill itself. I made a total of 7 kabobs and 7 hamburgers in just two batches.

I'm very glad I went with the heavy, cast iron cooking surface instead of those cheapy wire ones. At this point, I'm very happy with the purchase! And it didn't take long at all to heat up to a very high temp. I could see myself using this several times a week.

here's a pic of it in action (yeah, that beer in my hand was the first of well, I don't remember... but a lot)

EDIT: also, here's a pic of the Kabobs before going on the grill.  RoD, I liked the recipe you posted but in the end I got lazy and just bought a bottle of Teriyaki marinade and soaked the meat in it for a couple hours.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:13:35 AM by micah »

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 11:27:11 AM »
RoD, I liked the recipe you posted but in the end I got lazy and just bought a bottle of Teriyaki marinade and soaked the meat in it for a couple hours.

that works too :) Sometimes i make a marinade with A1, two orange slices, one lime slice, and some garlic. Let it sock overnight.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »
Always soak the sticks in water before using as grill skewers.

Weber has great customer support.  Known for it.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 04:26:14 PM »
Always soak the sticks in water before using as grill skewers.

Oh and ALWAYS wet the kabob sticks lol

:)
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?