Author Topic: Grilling tips  (Read 6269 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Grilling tips
« on: May 24, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
I want to get better at grilling.  I'm not all that great at it.  The food usually comes out decent, but not great.  I use a propane grill with 3 burners and I always lay the meat directly on the metal grates and directly above the heat.

Questions I have:
1) Do any of you use tin foil on the grates to lay the food on... and if so, when?
2) I've read a little bit but I don't understand when to use direct heat vs. indirect heat.
3) What temp setting do you use for various meats?  What is better slow-cooked vs. full heat (if any)?
4) Is there a better way to do corn on the cob than wrapping it in butter and tin foil (this seems to take forever)

Any other tips???

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Grilling tips
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »
1) That's useful if you're having trouble getting the meat off the grill surface, like with fish.  I'll also use it if I'm grilling with a sauce, so the sauce doesn't drip into the flames and cause a flareup
2) Most things you're cooking will take direct heat, unless you're trying to slow cook something like ribs.  Sometimes if I'm grilling different types of things that cook in different times, I'll just move the things done first to an "indirect" part of the grill to keep them warm.

4) Leave it in the husk.  It still takes quite awhile though.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »
Except for burgers and dogs I took pretty much everything indirect.  High heat to sear sometimes and then low temp to cook.  One reason for the last two is simply ease of cooking.  Indirect & low is a lot less likely to burn if you get distracted for a few minutes.  That and I like thicker meats (like roasts, ribs, or just a thick cut) for grilling.  Thinner cuts I just put on my foreman grill.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:38:12 PM »
I want to get better at grilling.  I'm not all that great at it.  The food usually comes out decent, but not great.  I use a propane grill with 3 burners and I always lay the meat directly on the metal grates and directly above the heat.

Questions I have:
1) Do any of you use tin foil on the grates to lay the food on... and if so, when?
2) I've read a little bit but I don't understand when to use direct heat vs. indirect heat.
3) What temp setting do you use for various meats?  What is better slow-cooked vs. full heat (if any)?
4) Is there a better way to do corn on the cob than wrapping it in butter and tin foil (this seems to take forever)

Any other tips???

1) Never, unless a recipe directly calls for it. Meat will cook differently this way, and some recipes will mention it. I don't think i have ever actually used it. I have never grilled something like fish, though.

2) Indirect heat is exactly what it sounds like. Direct is above/on/near the heat source. Indirect, for example, would be on an upper rack, not above the heat source. Indirect varies based on what you are cooking and how.

3) This is completely dependant on the meat, the cut, the tempature, the state (seasoned, marinated, semi frozen, completely thawed), the grill, etc etc etc

4) Oh yea. http://www.google.com/search?q=corn+on+the+cob+grill+recipes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

EDIT: govt mentioned fish, so it would be useful for that (#1)
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »
The other thing you could do with fish is throw it on a cedar plank or something.  That'd be preferable to foil in any case

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:30:38 PM »
I pretty much do the same things cheez does, but her are my answers

1. Tinfoil for ribs and veggies or anything that could easily fall through the grates. I also use those aluminum containers to cook chicken in. (look below)
2. Direct heat for almost everything like Cheeze said. Indirect if something needs to take a long time: ribs, pork butt, etc....I also use indirect heat if I have too much on the grill and have flame ups.
3. you want to use full heat on almost any beef, especially steak. I get my grill upto 550-600 before throwing steak on. Full heat on burgers too.
4. I do that except for the tin foil. I usually put it in first along with the potatoes. It is just a process bot well worth it!!

A week ago I used a tin foil container to marinate too sets of chicken wings...one hot one sweet. I used a lot of sauce! They marinated for 4 hours. I got the grill to about 400 and put the containers on the flame. the wings "cooked" in the sauce. i had to add some more so they would not stick to the bottom. after about 45 minutes i put the wings directly on the grates to get some color. at that point allready the meat was coming off the bone. 15 minutes later they were ready. best fucking wings i have ever had.

yesterday i did the same with drumsticks...add about 45 minutes to the process and you're done. did these on charcoal though. fucking awesome. they were a hit at the pool party.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
I also use a lot of beer when I grill. Beer on notched polish sausages, beer on italian sausages, chicken in beer, beer can chicken...all kinds of different things.

Two other things I live by:

1. when marinating chicken, always use a little bit of lemon juice. It helps open up the pores and gets the marinade inside the meat better.
2. I only do steak one way: lemon pepper and Worcestershire sauce marinade; red hot grill. Done.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 09:07:06 PM »
beer can chicken rules
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:08:05 PM »
2. I only do steak one way: lemon pepper and Worcestershire sauce marinade; red hot grill. Done.
Philistine.

Salt, pepper, done.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »
Philistine.

Salt, pepper, done.
You eat it without grilling?!!  You animal.

That's how I usually like my steak too. :)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 10:24:03 PM »
Philistine.

Salt, pepper, done.
You eat it without grilling?!!  You animal.

That's how I usually like my steak too. :)

hehe. I really like my lemon salt - other than regular salt and pepper lemon salt is the best seasoning :) do you use A1 or other steak sauce with your salt and pepper steak. After my treatment, you don't have too :)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 10:41:40 PM »
Of course I don't use A1 - I eat steak cause I like the way steak tastes, not so I can slather some crappy sauce on it!

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
Of course I don't use A1 - I eat steak cause I like the way steak tastes, not so I can slather some crappy sauce on it!

+1. I used to be the other way around. Sometimes i will use A1 in a marinate, tho

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 09:08:15 AM »
also if you don't suck at cooking steak you shouldn't need lots of seasoning

do you suck at cooking steak axon

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 10:59:03 PM »
also if you don't suck at cooking steak you shouldn't need lots of seasoning

do you suck at cooking steak axon

dude, you'd fucking love my steak.